Painting with Testors Acryl line

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Painting with Testors Acryl line

June 13th, 2006, 12:55 am #1

I've used Testors Acryl line before in single paint color schemes without much trouble. I'm trying to do fine-line work with it and I'm not having any luck at all with it. I've been using the Testors Acryl airbrush thinner and even added some liqutex arylic retartant to the paint and I'm having the same problems, which is that when spraying a fine line, I keep getting spitting and a build up of dried paint on the tip of the airbrush that I need to clean off. I've tried my Tamiya Super Fine airbrush and my Iwata HPC-BCS brush which has a larger needle and both are producing the same results. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

June 13th, 2006, 3:31 pm #2

i have had good luck with model master acryls when i bump the pressure pretty high - 40-60 psi. i don't thin a whole lot but i do play around with the pressure until i'm able to do what i want. i use the aztec airbrushes so i don't go for super thin lines, but i can still get a very nice thin line. i keep a damp paper towel nearby to constantly wipe the nozzle clean of build up. i had a conversation with a testor rep at the atlanta nationals and he looked at me like i was nuts when i told him what i did. but results don't lie.
in lieu of pressure i have played with thinning but didn't have as much luck as when i started monkeying with the valve. hope this helps.

June 13th, 2006, 9:23 pm #3

I've used Testors Acryl line before in single paint color schemes without much trouble. I'm trying to do fine-line work with it and I'm not having any luck at all with it. I've been using the Testors Acryl airbrush thinner and even added some liqutex arylic retartant to the paint and I'm having the same problems, which is that when spraying a fine line, I keep getting spitting and a build up of dried paint on the tip of the airbrush that I need to clean off. I've tried my Tamiya Super Fine airbrush and my Iwata HPC-BCS brush which has a larger needle and both are producing the same results. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I thin my acrylics now with laquer thinner. Gunze self leveling thinner has retarder in it also, although I find regular hardware store stuff works well.
DAVID NICKELS

June 14th, 2006, 11:38 pm #4

It sounds drastic and maybe not too helpful, but throw it all away and use Pollyscale or Tamiya. Testor's acrylic paint line is about as useful as their airbrushes.

June 15th, 2006, 12:56 pm #5

Their acrylics rock. I have pretty much at least one bottle of every single color they make in their acrylic and laquer ranges.
DAVID NICKELS

June 15th, 2006, 4:07 pm #6

It sounds drastic and maybe not too helpful, but throw it all away and use Pollyscale or Tamiya. Testor's acrylic paint line is about as useful as their airbrushes.
But Tamiya doesnt make an RLM 75 match in their acrycil lineup

I never had much luck with Polly Scale, often ran into the same problems as what I'm having with the Testors MM Acyrl line..
Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

June 15th, 2006, 4:55 pm #7

C'mon guys... I've been using MM acryls since they first appeared and I don't have issues with them. And trust me, I'm no friggen alchemist when it comes to paint - Out Of Bottle!
They worked well enough for a couple of AMPS gold medals and a couple of Firsts at IPMS Nationals. Besides chicks dig 'em!
Mixing them very important. Always mix thoroghly and play with the varialbles until you get what you want... it ain't rocket science. Being acrylics they are easy to play with since they clean very fast and very well. Embrace your dstiny... Luke....

June 15th, 2006, 7:25 pm #8

Their acrylics rock. I have pretty much at least one bottle of every single color they make in their acrylic and laquer ranges.
I have some of it. I'm not impressed with its durability. Paint thinner can lift it.

June 15th, 2006, 7:27 pm #9

C'mon guys... I've been using MM acryls since they first appeared and I don't have issues with them. And trust me, I'm no friggen alchemist when it comes to paint - Out Of Bottle!
They worked well enough for a couple of AMPS gold medals and a couple of Firsts at IPMS Nationals. Besides chicks dig 'em!
Mixing them very important. Always mix thoroghly and play with the varialbles until you get what you want... it ain't rocket science. Being acrylics they are easy to play with since they clean very fast and very well. Embrace your dstiny... Luke....
but Acryl hasn't been kind to me.

June 15th, 2006, 7:39 pm #10

I have some of it. I'm not impressed with its durability. Paint thinner can lift it.
Its a solvent. Gunze dries slower but works great. IMHO at least. Now a bad acrylic was the OLD Testors stuff in the grey bottle... rancid!
DAVID NICKELS