Painting over black basecoat

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Painting over black basecoat

August 9th, 2006, 7:23 am #1

Dear All,
Hi, this is my first post here. I asked the question on another website but can anyone here help.
I am a slow builder and have just basecoated Italeri's Crusader Mk11 in tamiya black. I am trying to follow a technique i have learned of, which basically involves preshading in black and building up lighter coats, in this case desert sand. But i am lost as what to do next. I know i have to spray in the centre of panels but how do i blend it all together.
Please forgive my waffling and asking such a basic question but can anyone help.
Thanks,
Rodders

August 9th, 2006, 11:10 am #2

to blend the colors. After you have finished painting all the panels etc. Spray a thin layer of paint over the complete model. With this the preshading should still be visible but the contrasts are much more subtle. Very easy way to blend everythinh. Just make sure you don't overdo it...
Hope this helps

Grtz Niels

http://groups.msn.com/dutchmodelbuilding

August 9th, 2006, 12:30 pm #3

Dear All,
Hi, this is my first post here. I asked the question on another website but can anyone here help.
I am a slow builder and have just basecoated Italeri's Crusader Mk11 in tamiya black. I am trying to follow a technique i have learned of, which basically involves preshading in black and building up lighter coats, in this case desert sand. But i am lost as what to do next. I know i have to spray in the centre of panels but how do i blend it all together.
Please forgive my waffling and asking such a basic question but can anyone help.
Thanks,
Rodders
One thing I found with using a black base coat (now I use dark grey or dark brown or "mud" colors) is that some top colors can shift in value depending on their base. I find that often Tamiya German Dark Yellow turns greenish over a black base coat, but looks normal over another dark coat. Probably because most cheaper paints aren't pure mixes, so that black is really a very dark blue or has a lot of blue pigment in it... so if you apply a yellowish color on top of blue in thin layers, you get something that is greenish.
DAVID NICKELS

August 9th, 2006, 9:38 pm #4

Dear All,
Thanks,
Rodders
...preshade with the black and then buildup with several gradually lighter shades of the finishing colour. While I've seen this all-black starting technique done successfully a number of times I'm not a big supporter of of it. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

August 11th, 2006, 1:16 pm #5

to blend the colors. After you have finished painting all the panels etc. Spray a thin layer of paint over the complete model. With this the preshading should still be visible but the contrasts are much more subtle. Very easy way to blend everythinh. Just make sure you don't overdo it...
Hope this helps

Grtz Niels

http://groups.msn.com/dutchmodelbuilding
Thanks for your help. Will try as suggested
Rodders

August 12th, 2006, 10:17 am #6

One thing I found with using a black base coat (now I use dark grey or dark brown or "mud" colors) is that some top colors can shift in value depending on their base. I find that often Tamiya German Dark Yellow turns greenish over a black base coat, but looks normal over another dark coat. Probably because most cheaper paints aren't pure mixes, so that black is really a very dark blue or has a lot of blue pigment in it... so if you apply a yellowish color on top of blue in thin layers, you get something that is greenish.
Thanks for the advice. I will try on my next model.
Thanks

August 12th, 2006, 10:18 am #7

...preshade with the black and then buildup with several gradually lighter shades of the finishing colour. While I've seen this all-black starting technique done successfully a number of times I'm not a big supporter of of it. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work.
Hi, i take your point. As in the last email i will try on my next model.
Thanks for your help