Painting metal tracks

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Painting metal tracks

August 6th, 2012, 3:34 pm #1

What is the best way to paint metal tracks? Do you use primer and if so, what color, red, gray, white?
Mike

August 6th, 2012, 4:14 pm #2

and not tracks that are all metal like the Stalin or King Tiger (versus tracks with rubber like the Sherman)

Most people (including me) seem to use a chemical blackening agent. Blacken-it is one brand. I bought a bottle of a similar product also from AK Interactive. AK also has a colored wash to apply over tracks.

http://www.ak-interactive-usa.com/product-ak159.html

With these methods you need to clean the metal with something like vinegar or lacquer thinner. It is hard, sometimes, to get the solution to flow into deep crevices and recesses in the track pattern. I use a fine paint brush or tooth to hit those spots. You can cover them up too with a bit of paint.

The tarnishing solutions give a nice dark, chakly, brown finish. You can dry brush them, add pigments or washes, etc. as normal.

AK has a tutorial video on their web site too. Although it uses their own fluid, the process is the same for Blacken it.
DAVID NICKELS

August 6th, 2012, 4:26 pm #3

Thanks for the info. I saw someplace that Blackin-it is a POISON! This may be a dumb question but I have never used it before so do you handle it just like paint or are there "special" precautions that need to be done.
Thanks
Mike

August 6th, 2012, 5:08 pm #4

Both work the same! I never used gloves or mask when working with it yet. Just caution. I use a small tupperware bowl for both the vinegar prebath and then the solution. Toothbrush works great. I had some issues the first time with trapped air bubbles but the brush fixed those.

August 6th, 2012, 5:17 pm #5

Thanks for the info. I saw someplace that Blackin-it is a POISON! This may be a dumb question but I have never used it before so do you handle it just like paint or are there "special" precautions that need to be done.
Thanks
Mike
Like any paint/glue/solvent use it properly and with care. I personally don't use gloves but they wouldn't hurt. I do was my hands after use,etc. Lots of stuff in daily life/use has some toxicity but I wouldn't get overly worried about it. As far as handling Blacken it, you just pour it into a plastic tub, add the tracks, and let it do its thing. Not a lot of handling really.
DAVID NICKELS

August 6th, 2012, 5:40 pm #6

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.
Mike

FS1

August 6th, 2012, 7:24 pm #7

What is the best way to paint metal tracks? Do you use primer and if so, what color, red, gray, white?
Mike
if you are not going the chemical route, you can paint the tracks to good effect. Clean them up. Then give a base coat of primer red. Once dry, mix a batch of Tamiya Hull Red, Black and Aluminum. About 80, 10, 10. Spray this on in light coats, about 2-3 passes. Then weather them out the way you wish. Pastels, pigments, mud, dry brush, etc.