Painting and weathering tracks

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Painting and weathering tracks

Antony
Antony

June 10th, 2003, 8:19 pm #1

Hi

Could anyone give me any advice at all on painting and weathing tank tracks, like paint colour/name etc. Ive tried many different ways, but i'm a newbie so to speak, and would very much like to know afew other ways inwhich to proceed.

Many Thanks

Antony

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 11th, 2003, 12:20 am #2

...you musy follow the "Posting Guidelines."

1. Please use a full name and valid email address

After that, I recommend that you might want to be a bit more specific as to country of make, time period & type of track that you want to paint.

hth,

Greg Harting
pyrman NO@SPAM aol.com

David Parker
David Parker

June 11th, 2003, 8:49 am #3

Hi

Could anyone give me any advice at all on painting and weathing tank tracks, like paint colour/name etc. Ive tried many different ways, but i'm a newbie so to speak, and would very much like to know afew other ways inwhich to proceed.

Many Thanks

Antony
Antony, overlooking your posting omissions for the moment and to answer your question I would recomend you spray your tracks with Humbrol track brown - I think the number is 151 - its a dull redish brown kind of grey colour - clear as mud! you can then add mud or dust using pastels or pigments mixed with thiners and add wear on the teeth and cleats by polishing with silver foil.

Hope that helps and keep an eye on those guidelines

regards DP

Ron Hetherington
Ron Hetherington

June 11th, 2003, 2:44 pm #4

Hi

Many Thanks

Antony
then go to German WWII and under A Tiger II of sPz. Abt 503 by Øyvind Leonsen you will find how he did the tracks on his Tiger. I use that method and it works great!

Antony Lowe
Antony Lowe

June 11th, 2003, 3:50 pm #5

Antony, overlooking your posting omissions for the moment and to answer your question I would recomend you spray your tracks with Humbrol track brown - I think the number is 151 - its a dull redish brown kind of grey colour - clear as mud! you can then add mud or dust using pastels or pigments mixed with thiners and add wear on the teeth and cleats by polishing with silver foil.

Hope that helps and keep an eye on those guidelines

regards DP
HI

Ive tried looking for this Humbrol Track Colour no.151 but on every site their paints list jumps from 150 to 153. Anyone know a good place to find and buy this item, places in the UK would help.

Thnx

Antony

Antony Lowe
Antony Lowe

June 11th, 2003, 3:57 pm #6

then go to German WWII and under A Tiger II of sPz. Abt 503 by Øyvind Leonsen you will find how he did the tracks on his Tiger. I use that method and it works great!
HIYA

Doesnt describe anything at all, but thanks anyways.

Antony

Antony Lowe
Antony Lowe

June 11th, 2003, 4:07 pm #7

...you musy follow the "Posting Guidelines."

1. Please use a full name and valid email address

After that, I recommend that you might want to be a bit more specific as to country of make, time period & type of track that you want to paint.

hth,

Greg Harting
pyrman NO@SPAM aol.com
HI

Ive bought a dragon IS2, ww2 period, just need some advice on painting and weathering tracks. They say this Humbrol track colour no.151 is great, but i cant find it, every Humbrol colour list ive found jumps from no.150 to no.153. Any help?

Antony

ron hetherington
ron hetherington

June 11th, 2003, 6:21 pm #8

HIYA

Doesnt describe anything at all, but thanks anyways.

Antony
that has the color details of where they are!

ron hetherington
ron hetherington

June 11th, 2003, 6:24 pm #9

then a wash of a black/brown mix to simulate greasy dirt then dry brush per the previous ref.

Brett Barrow
Brett Barrow

June 12th, 2003, 2:40 am #10

HI

Ive tried looking for this Humbrol Track Colour no.151 but on every site their paints list jumps from 150 to 153. Anyone know a good place to find and buy this item, places in the UK would help.

Thnx

Antony
Didn't make the jump to the current "Super Enamel" range.