Painting advice

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Painting advice

June 19th, 2008, 11:59 am #1

hi everyone.

I am looking for some advice on finishing my Autoblinda AB41.

I fancied going for one the exotic "giraffe" type colour schemes and was wondering on how everyone would approach this, masking, freehand etc?

My initial idea was to spray a base colour mask, spray the secondary darker colour then freehand paint the demarcation lines.

Any ideas or advice greatly apreciated.

Andy

June 19th, 2008, 1:34 pm #2

Given that in actuality, it was applied free hand with an air gun, I think you have no options other than what you've proposed. Just keep the pressure very low (8-10 PSI) and the paint very thin. Keep regularly daubing the nozzle of your airbrush to clean out any build up.

You get a sense of what 1/72 aircraft builders must contend with on most builds!

I have a P-40 Medium almost done too. It'll have that same scheme you're using. Best of luck to you.

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

June 19th, 2008, 2:42 pm #3

Thanks for the reply Roy, what do you use as a mask? I was thinking of using masking film having never tried the silly putty way of masking before it kinda frightend me off. Especially as i have a fair bit of etch on the model?

I pity you aircraft modellers out there if you have to go through this on a regular basis, give me a soft edge ambush scheme or a single colour finish any day

Andy

June 19th, 2008, 3:42 pm #4

Do everything freehand Andy. For the trouble of protecting versus a little bit of overspray, the time it would take to mask it isn't worth it. Just keep a steady hand and keep the spray very tight.

My formula is:

8-10PSI
acrylics thinned about 50/50
airbrush nozzle about one inch from surface
and lots of patience!

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!