Paint tip for painting bunkers

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Paint tip for painting bunkers

February 15th, 2006, 12:33 am #1

Hello all.....

Could I , please ,get some pointers on which color to use to simulate concrete
on bunkers.

Thank you

Mark

February 15th, 2006, 10:24 am #2

Sure: don't

Assuming you're talking about WWII German bunkers or similar constructions, unless your model is to represent such a bunker as it stands today, it should probably be painted in some kind of camouflage finish to more or less match the surrounding landscape. Patterns and colors used by the German army in WWII were often similar to those used on their tanks in 1943-45, just on a bit larger scale. If you're feeling adventurous, you can even paint the bunker to resemble a civilian house, barn, or other structure, with painted-on windows, doors and brickwork, or even a fake pitched roof from wooden beams and chicken wire.

And then there's the earth mound that often got thrown up around bunkers to both hide them and protect them from nearby blasts and direct fire. This would extend from all sides except those that had doors or firing ports (probably making the whole structure two or three times as wide as the bunker alone) and covered the roof in a layer of dirt as well. Effectively, this means you don't need to paint much of the bunker walls at all.

February 15th, 2006, 6:59 pm #3

Thank you for your response, which I appreciate....

however , I was , more or less inquiring about the color to use ,shades of gray's ect.

I do have a bunker set from Verlinden ,but plan to use sterene as well to extend the details.

Cheers

Mark

February 16th, 2006, 1:41 am #4

Id use a beige/grey colour to simulate the concrete and then camo it
Where are you going to have this bunker,...Normandy ?

Thanks
Andy

If you pull the Lion`s tail expect to get bitten

February 16th, 2006, 3:24 am #5

Yes I think so....

I purchased the book :
1944: le mur de l'attlantique en normandie
Editions Heimdal, written by Alain Chazette

It has plans with Black & pictures, so i have a pretty good idea what I'd like to do.

Just like you said ,I will have to experiment with different shades of gray,
until I obtain the desired effects.

Cheers

Mark

February 16th, 2006, 10:20 am #6

Thank you for your response, which I appreciate....

however , I was , more or less inquiring about the color to use ,shades of gray's ect.

I do have a bunker set from Verlinden ,but plan to use sterene as well to extend the details.

Cheers

Mark
I understand you were asking about the colors to use for bare concrete — to which my reply is that bunkers (in WWII, anyway) showed very little bare concrete. You can, of course, paint one in concrete colors if you want, but in most cases this would not be historically correct; it'd be like painting a Sherman in a steel color all over and labelling it "M4A3 Sherman, Normandy landings, June 1944"

OTOH, if you want to depict a bunker under construction, or one in the post-war period when the paint has worn off, then bare concrete would be the way to go.