Paint storage systems- ideas wanted

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Paint storage systems- ideas wanted

June 21st, 2012, 5:06 pm #1

Hi Guys.

I'm looking for ideas on how to store my paint ranges in my hobby shed. I'm a little short on room in there at present and the storage rack I brought years ago is not suitable the Valajo paints.

Paints I use are Humbrol, Tamiya, Model master, Valajo, Games Workshop plus some other.

Also do you store by paint by brand or by colour?

Any pics welcome.

A strange request, but someone may have a system I have not thought of.

thanks for the help

Andrew

June 21st, 2012, 6:58 pm #2

I use plastic storage bins with self locking lids. These are the bins you can purchase, in various sizes, at any of the home improvement stores or places like Bed, Bath & Beyond (here in the States). They can be easily stacked and don't take up much space. I know from space considerations. I live in an apartment in NYC.

My Vallejo stash is kept in numerical order inside the bin. I have a reference chart taped on the lid to make locating a particular color relatively pain-free. Model Master, Polly Scale and Floquil paints have their lids painted in the same color as the bottle contents. Additionally, I write the FS number and/or name on the lid, too. Humbrol and Revell paints are the easiest; since, they both have the colors and name on their respective lids.

June 21st, 2012, 8:31 pm #3

Hi Guys.

I'm looking for ideas on how to store my paint ranges in my hobby shed. I'm a little short on room in there at present and the storage rack I brought years ago is not suitable the Valajo paints.

Paints I use are Humbrol, Tamiya, Model master, Valajo, Games Workshop plus some other.

Any pics welcome.

thanks for the help

Andrew
Hi Andrew

I use a Ikea plastic unit myself but if you want something dedicated these might be the people.

http://www.progeng.co.uk/paint-racks

Alan

June 21st, 2012, 9:40 pm #4

Hi Guys.

Any pics welcome.

thanks for the help

Andrew
Bought a few of these at Staples, They will hold Vallejo bottles standing up.

http://reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/h ... itreUS.php

They are cheaper to buy online but the postage will kill you.

Owen

June 21st, 2012, 11:43 pm #5

Hi Guys.

Any pics welcome.

thanks for the help

Andrew
I use wood spice racks. The flat kind you can mount on a wall. I have them mounted next to my desk. Then you can have all the colors lined up with the lables facing out. Makes for quick ID and you can even sort by nation, Era and camo scheme type.

June 22nd, 2012, 12:05 am #6

Hi Guys.

Any pics welcome.

thanks for the help

Andrew
Cut to the chase and get a couple of these bad boys...

http://www.amazon.com/Iris-USA-6-Drawer ... craft+cart

The drawers pull out and have locking lids and the whole thing will roll under your work table. You can keep paint, tools, etc. in them. They will not hold Vallejo bottles standing up but you can lay them down.

At least in the US you can get these at Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupon too.
DAVID NICKELS

June 22nd, 2012, 3:00 pm #7

Hi Guys.

Any pics welcome.

thanks for the help

Andrew
my paint by brand and have so for 25 years. Mike

June 22nd, 2012, 7:58 pm #8

Hi Guys.

Any pics welcome.

thanks for the help

Andrew
I have a table saw and drill press so I custom made my paint rack to fit within a shelving unit I have.
I ripped up a 2 x 4 and then partially drilled in appropriate-sized holes (depending on the diameter of the paint bottle) into the shelves so they don't slide out.

Jim

June 23rd, 2012, 7:42 am #9

hi
thanks guys

you replies have given me lots of food for though

andrew

June 24th, 2012, 6:41 pm #10

I have a table saw and drill press so I custom made my paint rack to fit within a shelving unit I have.
I ripped up a 2 x 4 and then partially drilled in appropriate-sized holes (depending on the diameter of the paint bottle) into the shelves so they don't slide out.

Jim
There always has to be one in every outfit.
Outta here, Mike sends . . .
Last edited by Michael Mummey on June 29th, 2012, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.