Paint remover......

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

Paint remover......

September 10th, 2010, 3:13 pm #1

Hi all,

I have some old Poste Militaire figures (metal) that my uncle painted years ago in a mixture of artists acrylics, oils and humbrol enamels.

I want to remove the paint and re-paint them myself.

Does anyone know the best substance to use for this purpose and the best way to go about doing it?

Many thanks,

Chris

September 10th, 2010, 3:44 pm #2

I put it in a glass or metallic container and I soak the metal parts for about 5-10 minutes. That usually does the trick. Just do it in a well ventilated area cuz the stuff stinks and wash your hands thoroughly right after you have finished handling the thinner as it will seriously damage your skin.

September 10th, 2010, 4:50 pm #3

Hi all,

I have some old Poste Militaire figures (metal) that my uncle painted years ago in a mixture of artists acrylics, oils and humbrol enamels.

Does anyone know the best substance to use for this purpose and the best way to go about doing it?

Many thanks,

Chris
Chris,

I use a UltraSonic cleaner filled with a mixture of Windex, Green Stuff, and water (~1/3rd each).

Works very well to clean paint off figures.

Regards,

Rich

September 10th, 2010, 6:39 pm #4

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Chris

September 10th, 2010, 7:24 pm #5

I put it in a glass or metallic container and I soak the metal parts for about 5-10 minutes. That usually does the trick. Just do it in a well ventilated area cuz the stuff stinks and wash your hands thoroughly right after you have finished handling the thinner as it will seriously damage your skin.
... the lacquer thinner?
Last edited by harleyk83 on September 10th, 2010, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 10th, 2010, 9:38 pm #6

go to your local home improvement store and they'll have tons of the stuff. It comes in gallon, quart and pint cans.

September 11th, 2010, 8:29 am #7

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Chris
The liquid type for washing machines is what I use to remove oils and acrylics. I dilute this with water. The paint comes off in about half an hour. An old toothbrush gets rid on those stuck in the crevices without problems. For removing enamels you'd need suitable solvents like laquer thinner or the oven cleaner.

Cheers
Patrick

September 11th, 2010, 9:07 am #8

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Chris
Thanks lads..................n/t

September 11th, 2010, 9:36 am #9

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Chris
If its a metal figure I would suggest using the above product. It was recommended to me by figure modellers and I have used it with sucess on many occassions.
Place the figure on a baking tray and spray the cleaner covering the figure and leave it for a few hours. Then use an old toothbrush to get rid of the paint and rinse clean afterwards.
Wear rubber gloves as this is strong stuff but it doesn't effect the metal but may burn your hands.
G.

September 12th, 2010, 3:06 pm #10

Cheers..............n/t