Paint Mixing Cups

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Paint Mixing Cups

Brandon Hopkins
Brandon Hopkins

January 22nd, 2005, 12:44 am #1

Anybody know of an online source that has paintcups similar to these? These seem to work the best for my paint mixing purposes, but lately i've been having a hard time finding them anywhere. I've found similar, "better quality" ones in a couple art stores, but they tend to cost more and you get less in the bag. Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Mike Starmer
Mike Starmer

January 22nd, 2005, 6:56 pm #2

For small amounts that are going to be used in one go I use the plastic trays that come in chocolate boxes. No I do not eat all the contents, I get them from friends and relatives. These can be used several times over and then thrown away. For storing a bigger mix I use a cleaned out tinlet.

Edward Behun
Edward Behun

January 23rd, 2005, 1:36 am #3

Anybody know of an online source that has paintcups similar to these? These seem to work the best for my paint mixing purposes, but lately i've been having a hard time finding them anywhere. I've found similar, "better quality" ones in a couple art stores, but they tend to cost more and you get less in the bag. Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

n/t

Mike Kirchoff
Mike Kirchoff

January 27th, 2005, 11:50 am #4

If you are just looking for a cup to mix, not store, paints, try contacting a restaurant supplier. My wife had an eatery until a few years back and I was able to purchase a bag of about 200 thin plastic cups, approximately 2-inches in diameter and 11/2-inches deep, for about three bucks. It's the same product hobby shops sell for $2.95 for 25 in a bag.
Obviously, you can't mix lacquers in them, but I've had no trouble with enamel/oil washes. And they make great small parts organizers for your workbench.

HTH
Mike

January 27th, 2005, 3:27 pm #5

Whenever I go to my local Wal-Mart, I stop by the 1 hour photo department and the lady gives me about 200 plastic 35mm film containers for free. Any 1 hour photo place can give you bags full. They are great for mixing paint and are air-tight; they'll keep the mixed (or thinned) paint fresh for months. They are also perfect for holding small parts (PE, tools, figure parts) until you're ready to put them on the model. Some are clear, and I just put a piece of masking tape on the black ones and write what's in it. The upturned lids are perfect for small amounts of paint, CA glue, whatever. I'd pay money for a bag of these, but why? They're free!

Best,
Matt
AMPSCT
Best Wishes,
Matthew Toms

Chris Salak
Chris Salak

February 2nd, 2005, 10:01 pm #6

I use a lot of flat black, white, and OD. The empty jars can be washed out and reused for mixing airbrush blends. Just remember to clean the lid well between uses by popping out the insert or sealer that is inside the lid. If you get the right number of empties you can then use the color coded lids to identify your field blend.

Chris

Richard Renes
Richard Renes

February 4th, 2005, 7:14 pm #7

For small amounts that are going to be used in one go I use the plastic trays that come in chocolate boxes. No I do not eat all the contents, I get them from friends and relatives. These can be used several times over and then thrown away. For storing a bigger mix I use a cleaned out tinlet.
especially when I need just a very little bit.

Off course, I clean them first.

An other idea might be the plastic halves you get in surprise eggs.

hth,

Richard Renes