Paint colors for inside a MKI or MKII Male

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Paint colors for inside a MKI or MKII Male

June 8th, 2010, 1:23 pm #1

Could someone help. Does anyone know if the inside of a MKI etc was white or a light grey simlar to naval vessels? Or was it some other color. Currently scratch modifing a 1/72 MKI and need to determine the color inside.

Also were there any "floor boards" or alike inside or just metal floor.

regards

David.

June 8th, 2010, 6:52 pm #2

Check out David Fletcher's books (various) as he's published contemporary photos of the inside of a Mk I (I think at Gaza) and a Mk I without its sponsons showing the insides. Tanks at Flers (Trevor Pidgeon, Fairmile Books 1995) has the sponsonless tank and good clear photos of the interior of 785 in Bovvie.

This, and a cautious look at the Mk II in Bovingdon leads me to suggest

Floor - wood or oily black or maybe silver/grey depending on where you are
Engine cover and exhaust - silver paint
Inside of hull and sponsons - gloss white

Your best bet for the detail is to follow the Bovvingdon Mk II - I don't know if she's been repainted internally, but if she has it was some time ago and what we are looking at is at least close to the original. Colour shots in Tanks at Flers show a lot of good details

Fun project - hope this helps

Mike Cooper
Lovely sunny Reading (again)

June 12th, 2010, 2:20 am #3

, if still there, still has it's full interior and probably has been touched since soon after it was brought there. Though pretty rusted you can still see patches of white paint on the interior surfaces. part of the floor is still there it's wood but no color is visible.
I know it's not one of the rhomboids but I don't see why the "fast" tanks would have been painted any differently than the rhomboids
Regards bobC