Our Form2 printer!

July 22nd, 2017, 7:57 pm #1

I lile to show you the Form2 3d printer we bought last month.

For a description see :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2tyf7umsc

The installation went without problems, I expected it would take the whole day but after two hours I was running my first print.

For test I printed the master of the small Vickers Amphibious Tank I made for Jan Giesbers.

The result was perfect, look at all the details, better than Shapeways FUD!

Next one was the new DAF YA 616 truck.

As an experiment I printed the whole chassis in one piece, impossible to cast it this way.

Then I reduced the model to N-scale (1/160) (OK I also simplified the model a bit)
But it is printed in one piece!

This is fun! I also converted the other 1/72-87 Dutch army DAF trucks I have made over the last years to 1/160.

There has been a lot of dicussion about the suitability of 3d printers for modelling, with this machine I think this dicussion can end. It is still expensive but if you can buy it with a group like we did then it is much more affordable.

Also the resin used is expensive (160 euro/ltr), but you can make a lot of small scale models out of 1 liter

Well I do not plan to go on holiday this summer!

Kind regards

Hans

So how much???

July 22nd, 2017, 9:14 pm #2

So how much??? And to ease your costs are you printing other items for people

3D Printers

July 23rd, 2017, 2:30 am #3

The FORM 2 is ~$3499.99 (USD) - not including the resin and wash tanks/materials.

https://formlabs.com/

I also use a STRATASYS MOJO ABS printer which prints very nicely at 1:72 and 1:76.

You can see some of my prints here from the FORM 2 in 1:72 WWII.

https://www.thingiverse.com/dugzmodels/designs

and

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:354121

Italian M14/41 and 15/42, Windsor Carrier in 1:100 and 1:72.

In the secon link the LVT 2 and LVT 3 Bushmaster...

July 23rd, 2017, 2:43 am #4

So how much??? And to ease your costs are you printing other items for people
....was printed on the STRATSYS MOJO ABS printer in 1:72. The Stuart and Italian M75/34 SPG were also done on this printer.

Right now I working on a 4.5 and 5.5 inch 3D design and I will post on the "Thingiverse.com" site. Followed by a desert recon group and polish recon TKS group.

I have also recently printed figures on both printers and they turned out nice. It too several attempts to get the perspctive correct as the scaling and perspective don't a;ways match.

Impressive

July 23rd, 2017, 3:35 am #5

The installation went without problems, I expected it would take the whole day but after two hours I was running my first print.

For test I printed the master of the small Vickers Amphibious Tank I made for Jan Giesbers.

As an experiment I printed the whole chassis in one piece, impossible to cast it this way.

Then I reduced the model to N-scale (1/160) (OK I also simplified the model a bit)

This is fun! I also converted the other 1/72-87 Dutch army DAF trucks I have made over the last years to 1/160.

There has been a lot of dicussion about the suitability of 3d printers for modelling, with this machine I think this dicussion can end. It is still expensive but if you can buy it with a group like we did then it is much more affordable.

Also the resin used is expensive (160 euro/ltr), but you can make a lot of small scale models out of 1 liter

Kind regards

Hans

Hans

I recently visited a university lab where they were doing 3D scans of hominin skulls and printing replicas. The variation in size between the original and replica was measured in microns. They also had the capacity to 3D print in the colour of the original using a printer at another university. That printer was a cool AUD30,000!

I think that the technology is rapidly becoming affordable, particularly if it's used to create masters for more conventional model making.

As one of the 'old gang', I can see the possibilities of producing both 1/72 and 1/76 (or 1/87, etc) masters.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

July 23rd, 2017, 3:56 am #6

Kind regards

Hans

So who did the programming and how much knowledge did they have before they did it? Considering how much trouble many have posting pictures on a forum that's going to be the big hurdle for your average user, not buying a printing machine and pressing start.

My compliments, very well done!!

July 23rd, 2017, 9:16 am #7

Kind regards

Hans

Hello Hans,

That looks promised. The 3D printed vehicles looks much better then earlier prints I have seen from you.

Very well done, I think it sounds as one of the first acceptable printers for our hobby.

Best greetings, Henk
Greetings from Henk Timmerman
Webmaster "HenkofHolland", military small scale website
Email: info.henkofholland(at)gmail.com - change (at) with @

Well, Well, Well.

July 23rd, 2017, 9:29 am #8

Kind regards

Hans

And where are those on the forum who only months back were saying "It will take years" before we see this sort of thing and i replied. Man is only limited by his imagination. Well here we are. Do i feel smug? You bet i do. These things will get cheaper and cheaper, especially as the Chinese will not miss a market opportunity. Move the microwave over mother!

nic proces, nice models

July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 am #9

Kind regards

Hans

Good to see that there are alternatives for Shapaway. I hope the price for resin will drop in the future. Is it same kind of resin as you cast normally? (Polyurethane or something similar?

I like the Dafs very much!

best regards, Bas
www.twenot.nl

What models will you do next??

July 23rd, 2017, 12:35 pm #10

Kind regards

Hans

Hello Hans, what models are you planning on doing next??

If I may be so bold as to suggest a series of inter war vehicles and tanks...me personally, I'd like to see a Char FCM 2C, complete with railway transport dollies/trailers.

Grant