Other K5 Railway guns

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Other K5 Railway guns

August 22nd, 2012, 3:53 pm #1

While the 2 most "famous" K5's were the ones in Italy, where were the other guns when captured?
I had thought at least one or two would have been in the Pas de Calais area.

every time I try to find any information on these gusn it seems to circle around to the Anzio Annies.

Thanks
Mike

August 22nd, 2012, 5:26 pm #2

Try this link to a photo of it.

August 22nd, 2012, 5:29 pm #3

While the 2 most "famous" K5's were the ones in Italy, where were the other guns when captured?

every time I try to find any information on these gusn it seems to circle around to the Anzio Annies.

Thanks
Mike
Ok the link didn't work, here's the photo
[/IMG]
Last edited by Dave Coyne on August 22nd, 2012, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2012, 8:31 pm #4

Maybe half an hour out of Calais just off the coast road to Boulogne. The bunker housed the guns at Cap Blanc Nez.

Chris

August 23rd, 2012, 7:30 am #5

Thanks
Mike
Hi,
Some railway guns from France ended up in the village of Sluiskil in the Netherlands in September 1944. This was the end of the line (literally) after the retreat from France since these guns could not be ferried across the Scheldt. A nice site devoted to these guns:

http://www.k5e.nl/k-5-e/spoorweggeschut/k5e/

Arjan

August 23rd, 2012, 9:43 am #6

Maybe half an hour out of Calais just off the coast road to Boulogne. The bunker housed the guns at Cap Blanc Nez.

Chris
Rail Gun near Calais deteriorating quite a lot, but worth seeing. NT

August 23rd, 2012, 4:30 pm #7

Hi,
Some railway guns from France ended up in the village of Sluiskil in the Netherlands in September 1944. This was the end of the line (literally) after the retreat from France since these guns could not be ferried across the Scheldt. A nice site devoted to these guns:

http://www.k5e.nl/k-5-e/spoorweggeschut/k5e/

Arjan
Perfect set of photos
At least 3 K5's captured more or less intact.
Great pictures of troops and civilians climbing about on these monsters.

Thanks again
Mike

August 23rd, 2012, 8:17 pm #8

Hi Mike,
Here are some better pics of the K5's at Sluiskil (source: Beeldbank Zeeuwse Bibliotheek):

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Regards,

Arjan

August 23rd, 2012, 10:24 pm #9

Thanks
Mike
There is an article in I believe in one issue of ATB. I believe it says several were captured during the German retreat in the west in 1944. I think it also mentions the Russians capturing at least one. I have read that a number of German rail guns which may have included at least one K5 were used in the fighting on the Oder river in 1945. They were destroyed by Soviet air attacks or captured in the final days of the war. I am not sure of any of the above since it has been a long time that I have read anything about them. I hope this is of some help.