Opinions on Hansa System buildings

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Opinions on Hansa System buildings

February 12th, 2012, 4:33 pm #1

I am considering purchasing my first Hansa System building for a dio I'm working on. The photos are fantastic and they are EXACTLY what I am looking for. However, I have no experience with their buildings, so I am looking for feedback from folks who have already done so.

I'm am experienced modeler, just not familiar with their products...but looking to pick up several if the build experience "meets the eye".

Thanks and Semper Fi,

Pat Mooney

February 12th, 2012, 11:30 pm #2

Hi Pat-they are excellent and once you get the hang of it very expandable. If you did LEGO's with the kids Hansa buildings are easy. I'll send you some pics tomorrow of the one I built up (it's at the studio now) I'll send the pics via Facebook because it easier than here. Which building(s) are you looking at? We're selling out 3GUYZ so we are discounting. We have several buildings and a lot of the extra building parts-let me know via Facebook
Best bobC

February 13th, 2012, 4:03 pm #3

I am considering purchasing my first Hansa System building for a dio I'm working on. The photos are fantastic and they are EXACTLY what I am looking for. However, I have no experience with their buildings, so I am looking for feedback from folks who have already done so.

I'm am experienced modeler, just not familiar with their products...but looking to pick up several if the build experience "meets the eye".

Thanks and Semper Fi,

Pat Mooney
I think quite highly of Hansa Systems stuff. Not to cast aspersions on the building kits, but the greatest freedom the system provides is in creating your own design.

I have used quarter inch form-core for the basic structure, which can then be skinned with the Hansa brick sheets. Holes for Hansa doors and windows are easy to cut and the Hansa roof system can also be used.

Graph paper can be laminated to the form-core with 3M Spray Mount, so that you can get all your openings nice and square. All the Hansa components are keyed to a quarter-inch measure.

Just a thought!

Pat
MMiR

February 16th, 2012, 9:03 pm #4

Thanks and Semper Fi,

Pat Mooney
how do you simulate mortar between the bricks?

February 23rd, 2012, 7:18 pm #5

each brick has a slight bevel to the edge so when they are glued properly there is some recess to lay some pigment or pasty oil paint or whatever medium you use to simulate mortar. The cinder block type bricks that Hansa has do create a mortar simulation problem however. They have no bevel on the edges and when glued they are as tight as, well you know where I'm going here. I actually remedied that problem with gluing a very thin piece of strip styrene between every cinder block I assembled. Very time consuming but well worth it in the end.

February 26th, 2012, 6:55 pm #6

Dan,

Thanks - excellent tip...Tony asked the same question I was wondering about...and the cinderblock tip is a great solution.

Tony - congrats on AMPS Atlanta...your Lancia was beautiful...hope to see you at Auburn..

S/F
Pat

March 8th, 2012, 3:36 am #7

though very easily done