Opel "Blitz" Field Kitchen

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Opel "Blitz" Field Kitchen

May 24th, 2012, 7:41 pm #1

Hello,
Here is my Opel "Blitz" Field Kitchen based on an ESCI/Italeri Opel "Blitz" and using Ivey Models kit # 72101.http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj12 ... %20Models/

The conversion can be used with most 1/72 scale Opel "Blitz" and other 3-ton German trucks.

Let me know what you think of the conversion parts and the completed kit.

I am beginning a new line of my own and on this linkhttp://ww2militaryminiatures.com/Ivey_Models.php you will find my next projects. If you are interested, drop me a line. The kits will be 'limited run', meaning I will initially cast only 30-35 copies of each (which also happens to be about the life of the molds).

-Tony
Last edited by Tony Ivey on May 24th, 2012, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Ivey

May 24th, 2012, 9:29 pm #2

Turn the kitchen unit around so that the circular cooking pot (denoted by the round lid) is facing the rear of the bed nearest the tailgate. That's where the cook would stand to ladle out the chow as the soldiers lined up and passed by the lowered tail gate.

Brian
Don't be a Big Scale Bigot, go Braille Scale all the way.
Brian

May 24th, 2012, 9:39 pm #3

Hello,
Here is my Opel "Blitz" Field Kitchen based on an ESCI/Italeri Opel "Blitz" and using Ivey Models kit # 72101.http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj12 ... %20Models/

The conversion can be used with most 1/72 scale Opel "Blitz" and other 3-ton German trucks.

Let me know what you think of the conversion parts and the completed kit.

I am beginning a new line of my own and on this linkhttp://ww2militaryminiatures.com/Ivey_Models.php you will find my next projects. If you are interested, drop me a line. The kits will be 'limited run', meaning I will initially cast only 30-35 copies of each (which also happens to be about the life of the molds).

-Tony
just now I am building one kitchen in scracht for my RSO. Nice to see your work almost for me is too late hehehehe.

cheers.

May 24th, 2012, 10:34 pm #4

Turn the kitchen unit around so that the circular cooking pot (denoted by the round lid) is facing the rear of the bed nearest the tailgate. That's where the cook would stand to ladle out the chow as the soldiers lined up and passed by the lowered tail gate.

Brian
Brian,
I have to admit what you said is damn logical but regretfully the pictures of such German kitchens loaded on trucks shows the stack at the rear as a rule. I guess such arrangement allowed the cook to avoid the smoke while cooking in moving vehicle. The tears were inevitable when slicing onion anyway
Just one picture to illustrate how it was in the Wehrmacht:

HTH

May 24th, 2012, 10:47 pm #5

I have several files on the Field Kitchens, and it is about 50/50 on the location of the smoke stack.
Follow my link from above for more photos.
-Tony
Tony Ivey

May 24th, 2012, 10:51 pm #6

Brian
Hello Brian,
Thanks for the advice, however the Field Kitchens were positioned the way I show it in about 50% of the photos I have on truck mounted Kitchens. Your point makes sense, but it also makes sense to mount it the way I do so that the cook has more room to move around and access other items on the truck and not risk falling off the truck. You also have to keep in mind the height of the Opel Blitz trucks. The cook would have to lean over to hand off the cup of soup or whatever.

Anyway, I just uploaded several photos showing my configuration. Of course, if you bought my kit, you could do whatever you like with it!

-Tony
Tony Ivey

May 24th, 2012, 10:52 pm #7

just now I am building one kitchen in scracht for my RSO. Nice to see your work almost for me is too late hehehehe.

cheers.
will like to see your version later!

-Tony
Tony Ivey

May 25th, 2012, 1:22 am #8

Hello Brian,
Thanks for the advice, however the Field Kitchens were positioned the way I show it in about 50% of the photos I have on truck mounted Kitchens. Your point makes sense, but it also makes sense to mount it the way I do so that the cook has more room to move around and access other items on the truck and not risk falling off the truck. You also have to keep in mind the height of the Opel Blitz trucks. The cook would have to lean over to hand off the cup of soup or whatever.

Anyway, I just uploaded several photos showing my configuration. Of course, if you bought my kit, you could do whatever you like with it!

-Tony
here you can find almost 5 differents ways to transport one kitchen all depends of the vehicle and yours owners.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... cfc3e4ee82

cheers.

May 25th, 2012, 2:51 am #9

...that I have with the Kitchen mounted on them (bolted to the floors), 50% of my photos show the stove pipe to the rear, the other 50% to the front.

My point earlier was that the way I did my model was also correct.

-tony
Tony Ivey

May 25th, 2012, 3:13 am #10

Brian,
I have to admit what you said is damn logical but regretfully the pictures of such German kitchens loaded on trucks shows the stack at the rear as a rule. I guess such arrangement allowed the cook to avoid the smoke while cooking in moving vehicle. The tears were inevitable when slicing onion anyway
Just one picture to illustrate how it was in the Wehrmacht:

HTH
I stand corrected, great photo. If I had a scanner I would show a similar photo of a group lined up where the cook is spooning out meals over an open tail gate. I guess the only rule of thumb that had to be followed was that the kitchen unit was positioned over the rear axle for weight bearing reasons. I never even considered the smoke stack. Regardless, your model looks great.

Brian
Don't be a Big Scale Bigot, go Braille Scale all the way.
Brian