OPEL Blitz 4x4

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

OPEL Blitz 4x4

June 6th, 2012, 7:23 pm #1

Hi Everyone,
I did some checking last night and it seems only the Airfix Opel (1/76) is the 4x4 version in plastic. It this correct?

The Acadeny, Esci/Italeri, Fujimi, and Pegasus kits are all 4x2 does anyone make a 4x4 version in 1/72?

Also, does anyone make one which you can easily open/remove the sides of the hood to show the engine if you wanted to?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Iain

June 6th, 2012, 8:19 pm #2

For engine covers - NHDetail offers photoetched sets.

June 6th, 2012, 8:40 pm #3

Hi Everyone,
I did some checking last night and it seems only the Airfix Opel (1/76) is the 4x4 version in plastic. It this correct?

The Acadeny, Esci/Italeri, Fujimi, and Pegasus kits are all 4x2 does anyone make a 4x4 version in 1/72?

Also, does anyone make one which you can easily open/remove the sides of the hood to show the engine if you wanted to?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Iain
Mine are Mercedes. Roden also does a 1/72 Blitz. Either Academy or Roden (or both) have engines, I forget which, providing useful starting points.

Is it particularly difficult to create a 4x4 from a 4x2?

Graham Boak

June 6th, 2012, 9:36 pm #4

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Iain
Quite right, the only 4x4 Blitz available by the big boys up to date is the Airfix one.
Not so long ago Peter Bergström discovered that the crossing of the Airfix chassis and some other parts (for example the front which is different on 4x4 and correctly represented by Airfix) and the Italeri cab + the rest above the chassis and behind the cab is quite possible.
If you'll decide to try such crossing I recommend you the Roden Blitz kit. Its engine is good and the bonnet sides can be opened with little extra work (although here the correct is "the bonnet halves and sides"). Also, for unknown reasons the front wheels of the Roden kit are with hubs for driving axle and in this case it is an advantage, no doubt.
HTH

June 6th, 2012, 10:07 pm #5

Mine are Mercedes. Roden also does a 1/72 Blitz. Either Academy or Roden (or both) have engines, I forget which, providing useful starting points.

Is it particularly difficult to create a 4x4 from a 4x2?
Graham,
Both 4x2 and 4x4 Blitz trucks may look similar (and for some people even the same) but in fact they were two absolutely different trucks. The only common thing, perhaps, was the cab.
HTH

June 7th, 2012, 12:58 am #6

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Iain
so, just need to wait for a few more weeks!
Tony Ivey

June 7th, 2012, 7:50 am #7

Roden has promised it for some years now.
Has the time come for it to be released now?

Björn B
Björn Bäcklund

http://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/home.html

June 7th, 2012, 7:59 am #8

It seems recently Roden completely switched to 1/72 buses and forgot what they have announced back then.
However, it isn't problem for us to wait for the 4x4 Blitz version from this stable another "few weeks" after we were in waiting more than 5 years...

June 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm #9

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Iain
Thanks everyone, I did in the past mount the ESCI ambulance body one the Airfix chassis and cab.

Thanks Again.
Iain

June 7th, 2012, 6:07 pm #10

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Iain
Hello Iain,
As Ilian said, i just finished an Italeri/Airfix kitbash on this vehicle. The conversion is easy enough and measures out almost perfectly to 1/72. I´m sure the Roden 4x2 Blitz could be used instead of the Italeri one. I just used what i had available at the time.
Here are some links to my build:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/me ... itz+Allrad
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/me ... +ambulance
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/me ... z+finished
/Peter