Oopsy

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Oopsy

June 20th, 2015, 11:20 am #1

June 20th, 2015, 3:20 pm #2

From 2 June 2015
Story here:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... s-car.html

Cheers
Andrew

June 20th, 2015, 6:59 pm #3

During Reforger '82 "Carbine Fortress", one of our M901s drove through what the driver thought was a run of the mill hedge. It wasn't. On the other side was a sunken street about six feet down. The TOW track went straight down and landed on a brand spanking new BMW 525i which still had the dealer sticker in the window.

June 20th, 2015, 8:39 pm #4

While I was in Germany, we had a Quick Train callout early one morning. Trucks were sent to collect the married soldiery from their quarters. One of these was turning in to our barracks gate, on a slight bend and where the road was subject to a fairly low speed limit (I forget whether 50 KPH or 60 kph) when a BMW came round the bend at a speed estimated by the Polizei as something like twice the speed limit and went straight under the truck. No casualties to the soldiers, but not such good luck for the occupants of the car.

Chris

June 22nd, 2015, 4:22 am #5

When I was stationed in Nurnberg in 1973, the artillery unit was going out the side gate. The Polizie stopped two lanes of traffic, crossed the median and stopped the other two lanes, as the convoy was leaving it started the accordion effect and a German in a VW Golf tried to sneak through and then stopped. The M109 ran right over the front end!

I was loaned to the 2ACR for a short time and helped crew a M88 and we were T-boned by a German who told the police that he could not see us because of the camo! Loud enough to wake the dead, shook the earth, and two amber rotating beacons! Yeah! Right!! the police said.

I saw what a M728's blade can do to a VW van that tried to cut through a convoy to catch an exit.