One for David Byrden if poss. - Tiger I initial rims.

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

One for David Byrden if poss. - Tiger I initial rims.

March 8th, 2011, 6:09 pm #1

I'm hoping you might cast your eyes over this thread and offer any extra dimension:

http://worldwartwozone.com/forums/index ... ims-shock/

March 8th, 2011, 7:13 pm #2

I had never noticed this before, but Tiger 712 is indeed carrying some thick-rimmed wheels today. The first question is, are they original wartime issue? Most photos are not good enough to show, but here's a detail showing a wheel from another Tiger of s.Pz.Abt. 501 in Africa.

The rim does indeed seem to enclose the base flange of the tyre. So, I have a new drawing to make!

David

Last edited by DavidByrden on March 8th, 2011, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2011, 7:44 pm #3

...appreciate your looking, and nice photo there, so let's see if it opens up into anything. As the photos I posted from AP6 date from the 1970s it's somewhat unlikely that APG (who don't generally give much about their captive tanks) should fabricate special non-standard wheels just for one Tiger, but who knows. I'm somewhat astounded we're having this conversation as I know next to nothing about Tigers, but actually it would also be nice to use those Tamiya rims on some DML 'initials' as much as they don't have any locking tabs either, unlike the DML items which are strictly speaking Jan 43 and later I think going by refs.

March 9th, 2011, 3:36 am #4

I'm hoping you might cast your eyes over this thread and offer any extra dimension:

http://worldwartwozone.com/forums/index ... ims-shock/
what is being talked about?? Does this have to do with the rim next to the tire??

I'm so confused.....................

March 9th, 2011, 8:04 am #5

This is a cross-section through the edge of a wheel, showing the area in question (later version).

David

March 9th, 2011, 9:49 pm #6

The outer and inner tyre seems to be the same
Dennis

OUTER

INNER

March 9th, 2011, 10:19 pm #7

This is a cross-section through the edge of a wheel, showing the area in question (later version).

David
on the Tamiya one, I see 1. I was looking at pictures and I see some with 2 grooves, but is hard to see.

I'm just trying to figure out is Dragon correct or is Tamiya?? That thread is hard to follow because answers seem to change.

March 9th, 2011, 10:36 pm #8

I think that a relatively small number of the wide-flange wheels were made, probably they were the first design, and they were used on some of the first 50 or so tanks, mixed with the other wheels because they were piled any which way at the factory. I can see the later-type wheels on Tiger 121 of s.Pz.Abt. 502, which is a very early vehicle.

David

March 10th, 2011, 8:48 am #9

David
Excellent, that's what I was hoping you'd say. It looks as if only 1942 production got them, and only some of them at that. The Bovington Tiger was early 1943 prod so by then it looks as if these limited stocks were already used up, it looks like a true 'initial' type of rim.
Ron

March 11th, 2011, 7:40 pm #10

I had never noticed this before, but Tiger 712 is indeed carrying some thick-rimmed wheels today. The first question is, are they original wartime issue? Most photos are not good enough to show, but here's a detail showing a wheel from another Tiger of s.Pz.Abt. 501 in Africa.

The rim does indeed seem to enclose the base flange of the tyre. So, I have a new drawing to make!

David
For those who are interested we have more information on this subject here.

Lee