Omaha Beach

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Omaha Beach

Johnny Thjomoe
Johnny Thjomoe

April 20th, 2002, 7:01 pm #1

hi guys

after watching saving private ryan i was inspierd to do amaha beach dio. but i cant find any pic of the beack fortifications. are the 2 mg bunkers in the fild for real or ficonal? any help or ideas will be apriciated.

Johnny Thjomoe

pascal bastiaens
pascal bastiaens

April 20th, 2002, 7:22 pm #2

Hello,
try the following link :
http://www.6juin1944.com/lieux.html
it will take you to a site with much photos of the landing beaches. For omaha beach : just click on the photo on the site and you get lots of photos of the beach bunkers.
Hope this helps
pascal bastiaens
bastiaensp@skynet.be

April 21st, 2002, 9:17 pm #3

hi guys

after watching saving private ryan i was inspierd to do amaha beach dio. but i cant find any pic of the beack fortifications. are the 2 mg bunkers in the fild for real or ficonal? any help or ideas will be apriciated.

Johnny Thjomoe
Hi Johnny, Contact me via E-Mail and I will send you some great pics of Dog Green taken just after D-Day. Regards George

CROSSAn SEYBOLT
CROSSAn SEYBOLT

April 23rd, 2002, 12:08 am #4

hi guys

Johnny Thjomoe
I have the landing boat topo maps for Omaha, showing bulidings, roads, hedgerows, elevations, (interesting enough no fortifications!) They also have small charcoal panarama views of what the troops should expect from beach level (crude but interesting). They penetrate about 2 KM's beyond the beachesand cover Omaha West; Dog red, white, green and Chatrlie & Omaha East; Fox red, green, Easy red, green and Dog red. The 2 maps are jpeg files of 3.7 meg each so e-mail me if you would like them. I just had them scanned as i plan to give the orginals to the d-day museum in New Orleans. The deal is i will e-mail if you keep me up to date w/pics on your progress. This holds for anyone.
thx
crossan seybolt

George Proulx
George Proulx

April 23rd, 2002, 4:13 am #5

hi guys

Johnny Thjomoe
Johnny, go to the link below for the pics I posted.

http://communities.msn.com/MilitaryMode ... lbumlist=2

David Spacek
David Spacek

April 24th, 2002, 8:20 am #6

Hi George and Crossan,
Very interesting discussion about the Omaha beach, I would just to let you know that I’m contacting you off line regarding this since I’m highly interesting about your pictures…
Cheers
David

mike parkinson
mike parkinson

April 24th, 2002, 3:35 pm #7

hi guys

Johnny Thjomoe
Have you seen or played medal of honor computer game from ea games.

One of the maps is their version of omaha

you can run on your own or fihgt the battle on line with others

its worth it for the gun sounds alone

best 30 quid youll spend on a computer game

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 14th, 2002, 3:07 am #8

mike
i did get teh game and when you reach level 3 overlord level they show the bottom of the map the that I am talking about
crossan!

Warbinek Lyle
Warbinek Lyle

May 18th, 2002, 3:00 pm #9

hi guys

Johnny Thjomoe
I have spent about 4 days exploring
around Omaha Beach. If you want to bulid a diorama
I can reccomend Custom Diorama's CD 154 mortat Pit,
and the following Verlindin kits:
116- Tobruk Pit,
114 Heavy MG Bunker,
1676 Concrete Gun Emplacement,
You can probably use
331-Tank Turret Bunker,
and 1668.
The first four kits are historically accurate,
as they can be seen at Strong Point WN 62,
just link up your bunkers with zig zag trenches.
There were also two 75mm pak bunkers, but currently
nobody makes an accurate one, that is still standing!
I hope this helps answer your question.