Old Dragon Sherman Ic Firefly Hybrid Hull

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Old Dragon Sherman Ic Firefly Hybrid Hull

May 28th, 2012, 9:35 am #1

I thought I'd share some images my original Sherman Ic Firefly Hybrid Hull (dragon), which has gone together better than I expected, so I've been adding tweeks to improve the accuracy and looks

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Reading the reviews/builds/threads online and looking at walk arounds the turret needed a fair amount of work to make it presentable

I was aiming for a low bustle turret with cast in cheek armour, and no pistol port. This required adding the cheek armour, reshaping the curve of the turret base round the back under the bustle, reshaping the contour round the commanders cuppola. I also filled the pistol port hole and emphasised the welds round the turret base with milliput (A lot of this was based on stuff on Mike Canadays site)

I should also have reduced the depth of the bustle, but had added the turret radio box before I knew that too was wrong so left it alone)

The length of the 17lb barrel was also reduced by about 1cm to conform to the online plans.

So far so good.

Next I replaced the outer hatch hinge blob with a proper handle (I need to do the inner one too, but haven't found a good picture yet)

I added a fake muzzle break (designed to trick the Germans into thinking it was a standard 75/76mm model), and some welded on track armour as seen on some Canadian Shermans.

May 28th, 2012, 9:44 am #2

A couple more pictures

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I added some stowage (Value Gear Detail) to the top of the turret basket.

Moving on to the hull I sanded down/filled the over exagerated cast texture detail, added milliput welds into the 'trenches' provided by Dragon.

The kit pioneer tools were used, but the attachment points were refined (eg on the crowbar/shovel), and straps/tiedowns added. A hole for the started was also drilled into the rear hull. A second travel lock was added to the rear hull from the Sherman spares box which also provided some 'off round' tow handles with work well with the added 'steps' added to the front hull.

I've added drainage holes to the hull now (not in pictures) and again replaced the hatch handle blobs with spares. I also threw on some more stowage, and a spare wheel (the hull front stowagwe will be roped on after painting).

Last edited by caryl576 on May 28th, 2012, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 9:56 am #3

The bogies were detailed by adding the 4 bolt holes to the front, and the 2 plugs on the top (thanks to Missing Lynx and Armourama posters for the info)

I've decided to replace the old (and pretty thick) skids provided with some LionMarc ones in brass which are in the post (I had a go at thinning the Dragon ones but that proved a bit of a disaster!)

The Dragon Idler wheels are backless ad very visible so I modified them by letting in a cut down spare wheel disc which gives a decent (but not really accurate!)

[/IMG]

What I'm looking for is any more suggestions/comments to improve the Sherman before it goes to paint. Additions/Subtractions whatever.

I'd also welcome suggestions for a (cheap) Canadian tank crew to go with it (I'm leaing towards with Miniart British set) as it looks destined for the Italian summer, and the only crew I have are in winter kit

May 28th, 2012, 5:39 pm #4

as part of a modelling group challenge, Anthony.

Your kit looks great so far. Keep us updated, please!

Best moves I made was to get a set of Formations tools and the ET Model PE set for the DML 1C Firefly. The tools are superb and really dress up the exterior. The PE is very good- and cheap!- giving you a ton of useful parts like Periscope guards, alidade sight, sandskirt strips, fenders, as well as tool straps and clasps, light guards and track skids. ( I had already thinned the DML skids and drilled out the holes before the PE arrived so I'll use them on another vehicle.) The Tasca Firefly VC come with separate backs for the idlers which fit the DML idlers perfectly- I cast up a couple of copies to fix the DML's.

The other very useful addition is a set of the Archer casting marks. I added some to mantlet, turret, open hatch, etc.

Not knowing much about the 1C I found Phil Dyers article on detailing this kit in the old Military Modelling Special of April 2001 very useful.

Keep up the good work... Now to finish mine in time for a show this weekend!
Bruce

May 28th, 2012, 6:19 pm #5

I'll just add a couple of points Roy Chow has PMed me with

The hull side bedroll does not foul the turret/mantlet so is OK, but Roy pointed out a crew would probably not risk havving anything there..... Something to bare in mind for next time!

My transmission bolt strip is on upsidedown... AArgh, but hopefull it will come off again ok (the whole section is full of squadron green so some liquid cement should soften it up and do the job).

Now there's a great spot for you, and shows somebody who really knows their subject!
Last edited by caryl576 on May 28th, 2012, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 6:35 pm #6

as part of a modelling group challenge, Anthony.

Your kit looks great so far. Keep us updated, please!

Best moves I made was to get a set of Formations tools and the ET Model PE set for the DML 1C Firefly. The tools are superb and really dress up the exterior. The PE is very good- and cheap!- giving you a ton of useful parts like Periscope guards, alidade sight, sandskirt strips, fenders, as well as tool straps and clasps, light guards and track skids. ( I had already thinned the DML skids and drilled out the holes before the PE arrived so I'll use them on another vehicle.) The Tasca Firefly VC come with separate backs for the idlers which fit the DML idlers perfectly- I cast up a couple of copies to fix the DML's.

The other very useful addition is a set of the Archer casting marks. I added some to mantlet, turret, open hatch, etc.

Not knowing much about the 1C I found Phil Dyers article on detailing this kit in the old Military Modelling Special of April 2001 very useful.

Keep up the good work... Now to finish mine in time for a show this weekend!
Bruce
Thanks for the kind words Bruce

I've seen the formation tools, and will hopefully get a set for my next Sherman build (they do look good), and the Archer casting marks look great too

EDIT: Thanks to the Magic f Ebay some casting symbols are on their way

I'll check out the ET models etch too,

You casting the Tasca idler back is definately a better solution than I came up with, so a bit of envy there

(although I'm still baffled why Dragon added wheel backs but didn't bother with the far more obvious idler)
Last edited by caryl576 on May 28th, 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.