Odd Photo british half track

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Odd Photo british half track

July 8th, 2012, 3:19 am #1

Any ideas what this britsh half track is? Appears to have the armour plate extended about 18" upward all round!

July 8th, 2012, 3:41 am #2

It has a lot of similarities to some of the ambulance photos I have here, the jury rigged rack you can see in the open rear door looks like the stretcher racks I've seen, as do the position of the loops/straps on the side of the exterior for holding spare stretchers.

Notice the tilt hoops for the canvas tilt on top of the extended sides, which allow standing completely upright to give aid to a patient inside during foul weather.

http://armorfarm.blogspot.com/

July 8th, 2012, 10:58 am #3

Any ideas what this britsh half track is? Appears to have the armour plate extended about 18" upward all round!

Paul:
Rule #1: Use your full name when posting

July 8th, 2012, 1:50 pm #4

All cropped from the originals.

IWM 8680

Green Howards mopping up near Tracy Bocage, 4 August

IWM 8681 or B8682

and the 'censored' version.

The same scene was filmed and is in
A70 113-23

A section of riflemen from the 6th Battalion the Green Howards advance cautiously past a derelict 1st Rifle Brigade M5 half-track in their search for snipers and stragglers in the countryside around Tracy-Bocage

July 8th, 2012, 10:04 pm #5

I am probably wrong but isn't it just a wading extension that hasn't been removed?

I think there's some sort of sealant over the join between original hull and extension which is supported by rods including those visible on the back door. You saw carriers with similar extensions
Last edited by sbking on July 8th, 2012, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2012, 10:14 pm #6

Um, lol? I truly hope you are being facetious.

If that was a 'wading extension' it would put the driver and crew completely underwater by like 18 inches or more...

Wading trunks were designed to allow engines to intake and exhaust air while fording deep water, not turn vehicles in submersibles. Are you proposing this thing was used a submarine?

:/

July 8th, 2012, 10:59 pm #7

No it was not facetious

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=B+5040

try a bit of research before posting....
Last edited by sbking on July 8th, 2012, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2012, 11:08 pm #8

Err, Okay? But just what exactly does an image of a Churchill and a Bren carrier have to do with any of this half track stuff?

:/

...and as for your "try a bit of researching comment", I would suggest good sir, you heed your own advice?

This, is how half tracks forge deep water.

[/IMG]

Edit:

The technical manual bit-

[/IMG]

Last edited by Ken Abrams on July 8th, 2012, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 8th, 2012, 11:49 pm #9

You want me to spell it out??

Look at the sides of the carrier. When landing, there were temporary sheet metal extensions all round the open hull to extend the height of the compartment sides. The extensions are held in place by the steel rods you can see down the side of the carrier. The joins were sealed. This raised the sides of the carrier to allow it to drive through the surf from a further distance out without being swamped. Presumably this was done because on the sloping beach the transport ship could not get close enough to the shoreline to safely disgorge a carrier without the extensions.

The extensions on the side and back are still in place, but now that the carrier has left the beach, the driver has removed the extension in front of his face so that he can see to drive. Before, the vehicle would have been directed by another member of the crew. In recent years a carrier with the wading extensions still in place was found in a French scrapyard. Later carriers were fitted with the three fixings on each hull side to take the rods as a matter of course

My suggestion was simply that the sides of the half track might have been extended in the same way to heighten the sides and avoid any swamping of the vehicle. Once on land the driver would have just opened his armoured shutter over the windscreen and dropped down the top half of the door, which would have been sealed with the Bostik waterproofing compound. This is a British vehicle and may have been waterproofed differently to U S Army vehicles
Last edited by sbking on July 9th, 2012, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 12:21 am #10

I understand how the carrier works Simon...

what I don't understand is how anyone would think this is a similar design. The water would rush in long before you ever got that deep, no matter how well you tried to water proof it. Comparing a little tub of a carrier to a Half track is like comparing apples to orangutans. And why would you need to extend the sides of a vehicle which (unlike the carrier) already sits well above the heads of the crew? Why not water proof whats already there unless you plan on going deeper?

...unfortunately the carrier photo/idea/function it has no bearing on this half track photo.

Or these:

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

It's either an ambulance (like I mentioned previously) or it's a command half track.

/end

Last edited by Ken Abrams on July 9th, 2012, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.