Not in Tamiya GB but i'd share this

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Not in Tamiya GB but i'd share this

June 4th, 2012, 12:30 pm #1

Hi guys

Heres my WIP of a M4 from 11th A/D 29th Hussars HQ troop NWE '44 around ''Epsom''

Yet to do the 'Black Bull' 11th A/D symbol.

Tracks are in painting/weathering process.

Stowage will be finished soon. Painting the details/figures etc.

I did weld seems and made lower sponson blanking plates. Added extra ariel mount on glacis. Fighting 48th P/E set was used but no brush gaurds were evident on periscopes as my refs showed. I have stores to go on the glacis too i.e a spare roadwheel steel ammo boxes. Have yet to 'dust it up'.
This is my first post in the 1/48 forum and it's not my last lol
Feedback always welcome

TIA

Nick

June 4th, 2012, 12:54 pm #2

on how you made the Camo net hanging on the side of the Turret?

June 4th, 2012, 3:29 pm #3

Hi Patrick
My methodology is this. . .
I purchased gauze bandage on a roll from a chemists. There are a few types out there so check the 'grid' pattern first. I cut a square big enough to cover 3/4 of the tank and folded it up as the crew would.I soaked this in a solution of Pva/water and then wrapped lead foil strips 1mm wide around the netting. I teased out each end to give wieght to it.Make sure your strapping aligns with the turret tie-downs.I then taped it damp to the turret with lo-tac masking tape and left to dry for 24hrs. Remove tape carefully when dry If the net comes off you can reglue with super-glue. I affixed mine before overall SCC15. I painted the net in dk brown. I have yet to drybrush with a buff colour to pick out detail.

Hope this helps
Nick
Last edited by panthernick on June 4th, 2012, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 4th, 2012, 7:03 pm #4

Hi guys

Heres my WIP of a M4 from 11th A/D 29th Hussars HQ troop NWE '44 around ''Epsom''

I did weld seems and made lower sponson blanking plates. Added extra ariel mount on glacis. Fighting 48th P/E set was used but no brush gaurds were evident on periscopes as my refs showed. I have stores to go on the glacis too i.e a spare roadwheel steel ammo boxes. Have yet to 'dust it up'.
Feedback always welcome

TIA

Nick
Hi Nick!

I like vey much the green shade you used.

It is always nice to see "ordinary" (=non Fireflys) green Shermans in British service!

Regards!
Alvaro

June 5th, 2012, 10:21 am #5

Thanks Alvaro

Many thanks in having a look
I will post some more pics when its not as overcast here. This is a joy of a kit to make and detail. I make usually make up a batch of colour up which i will adjust the tone to suit the vehicle.

The green i used was made up like this;-

2 parts Tamiya XF62 Olive Drab
2 parts Vallejo 70850 Medium Olive
1 part Tamiya XF65 Field Grey
1 part Tamiya X20A Thinner

Heres a pic taken inside under worklamp.
Over this i sprayed a coat of Xtracolor Acrylic Gloss Varnish. Decal. Varnish again. Pin wash of Burnt Umber and then oil dot filters streaked down. Thats where i'm at now. Leaving oils to cure for a week before more weathering.

Glad i can share
Nick
Last edited by panthernick on June 5th, 2012, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2012, 3:44 pm #6

Hi guys

Feedback always welcome

TIA

Nick
Nick,

I see no reason for not entering that british Shermie on the Tamiya GB and I believe you could take good advantage of the boost here to complete your model on time. What do you think?

I am with Alvaro. I also like Shermans on another green shade than pure OD.

Keep us posted.

Lu

http://www.onefortyeight.com

June 5th, 2012, 9:51 pm #7

Thanks for looking in Lu

It's an honour i say

Yup okies the fuse is lit! Welcome me aboard the Tamiya GB.
Today i ordered two Fighting 48th decal sets that will be with me ASAP.
I will sort out the figures ( Tamiya - Cut n shut with 1mm shims to get european height) and the final details.
My wish is for Tom Meier (Fox Miniatures) to do 'tommys NWE' as i am very
impressed with the U.S. paras + Germans that i've seen.
I have a few more projects in 48th awaiting my attention and will share
here.
Once again thanks for the 'mojo' Lu
Nick

June 6th, 2012, 10:24 am #8

Alternative method with camo nets.
Glue your tiedowns to the hull/turret then superglue the 2cm strips of lead foil to the tiedowns. Wrap/tie the damp netting into position do them tight an leave to dry. Either method's good in this or any scale tho i've not tried this in braille scale yet.
Hope this is as helpful
TIA
Nick
Last edited by panthernick on June 6th, 2012, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.