Nikon coolpix 2100, Anyone got one?

This discussion group is is hosted by Robert Oehler and dedicated to the art of photographing models. Subjects include tips & techniques, equipment, lighting, and digital photography.

Nikon coolpix 2100, Anyone got one?

Simon Crockford
Simon Crockford

October 30th, 2003, 5:54 pm #1

Hi,
I'm after a digicam but on a very tight budget
The only one I can afford that seems to fit the bill for me is the coolpix 2100.
I've read a few reviews, but since they're not written with the modeller in mind, they don't answer my questions fully!
Basically I want to know if the Macro mode on this camera is any good for my needs? (I mainly want to take pics of figures - 54mm 1-35th - but some armor as well)
Can you, for example, have the landscape mode on in macro? (as this will give the biggest DOF!)
any help will be appreciated
Cheers
Simon

Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith

November 1st, 2003, 5:42 pm #2

Nikons are excellent cameras. The macro mode on this particular model is one of the best out there. I would highly recommend it to you. The landscape modes on the 2100 are also a nice feature, as are the firing modes for different weird lighting situations.

Jeff

Simon Crockford
Simon Crockford

November 2nd, 2003, 5:18 pm #3

That's all the push I needed

Simon

Judson M. Titchen
Judson M. Titchen

November 12th, 2003, 1:50 am #4

Hi,
I'm after a digicam but on a very tight budget
The only one I can afford that seems to fit the bill for me is the coolpix 2100.
I've read a few reviews, but since they're not written with the modeller in mind, they don't answer my questions fully!
Basically I want to know if the Macro mode on this camera is any good for my needs? (I mainly want to take pics of figures - 54mm 1-35th - but some armor as well)
Can you, for example, have the landscape mode on in macro? (as this will give the biggest DOF!)
any help will be appreciated
Cheers
Simon
I could have written the exact same message you posted - want a good basic digital, taking pics of models to be an important use, on a budget - I am hoping to hear your review, as I'm nearly sold on the Coolpix 2100 as well. Seems a lot of guys here praise the Nikons, and specifically their macro capabilities, and since these can be had for under $200, maybe I can get the wife to finance it out of the "family" budget! If you get a chance, and read this, I'd love to hear more.

thanks, and good luck!!!

Judson M. Titchen

Simon Crockford
Simon Crockford

November 17th, 2003, 1:25 pm #5

Not got it yet but it looks like it's going to be some time in the next 14 days!
I'll definately let you know my findings!

Simon

Judson M. Titchen
Judson M. Titchen

November 18th, 2003, 4:21 am #6

n/t

November 23rd, 2003, 3:44 am #7

I could have written the exact same message you posted - want a good basic digital, taking pics of models to be an important use, on a budget - I am hoping to hear your review, as I'm nearly sold on the Coolpix 2100 as well. Seems a lot of guys here praise the Nikons, and specifically their macro capabilities, and since these can be had for under $200, maybe I can get the wife to finance it out of the "family" budget! If you get a chance, and read this, I'd love to hear more.

thanks, and good luck!!!

Judson M. Titchen
I managed to scrape up enough $ to get the Nikon Coolpix 3100 this weekend. Haven't tried it yet - it's late in the evening, and I want to be sharp and fresh when I open the box and begin working with it. But, I am SO psyched!!! Got the rechargeable batteries with charger, got a carry case, mini tripod for shelftop model photos, and will soon be getting a full-size tripod. If anyone is interested, I'll post more info and maybe some pics, to help anyone else who might be in a similar position. Thanks!

best regards,
Judson

November 24th, 2003, 3:33 am #8

Judson
I was just pointing this camera out to my wife earlier today.(possible Christmas present ) I'm very interested in what you think of it and how the pics look.

Mike

Judson M. Titchen
Judson M. Titchen

November 24th, 2003, 5:56 am #9

Hi Mike!

Here's my take on the Nikon so far, in one sentence: "If I didn't need a film camera for such places as the beach and other camera-hostile environments, where I don't want to take the digital, I'd never take another film picture again! I LOVE it!"

Some background on me, just so you can judge the perspective this is coming from: I am at best an amateur photographer. I'm not a pro, nor have I ever taken classes or had someone knowledgeable show me. I can be good with a basic film camera when I know how to adjust lighting, set the camera for the best shot, etc. But, in the past, this has usually meant I waste a ton of film and time getting to the right point. As far as models go, I have never been able to take what I'd call a satisfactory model closeup, worthy of posting on the net, with my film camera.

This is my first digital camera, so I can't offer hands-on comparison to others; but, I researched Nikons for awhile, compared their specs to others, read reviews on dpreview.com, and finally settled on the Coolpix 3100 because 1) 3.2 pixels seem to range around $300 now, and that's all I could handle dollar-wise; 2) I knew my primary use would be hobby-related, and saw good comments here and elsewhere about the macro capabilities of the Nikon, and saw good posted pix taken with them, and 3) I was satisfied that it compared well to others in the same $ range in all other ways, at least on paper. So, the moment of truth came - I made the purchase.

An experienced photographer would want a camera with all settings controlled by the user, to give him the tools he knows how to use to get the 100% best shot in different settings, lighting, etc. Being ignorant to how to do most of this, I find it helpful to have a camera that can help with this - it is set up with several different modes that help you get the best pic in various situations. A purist would resent lack of ability to override some of this, but, for me, the first pix I've taken are already FAR, FAR better than any I've ever taken in my life with a film camera! And, there are still a lot of things within the user's control, so, as I experiment and learn, I'll get better quickly. Plus, the next step up for a better camera is $600-800 and up, which I must be honest and say is beyond my reach. So, I think I got the best camera for the money, and would unhesitatingly recommend it to anyone for hobby use! I haven't had time to fiddle with all the settings, flash vs. lighting, backgrounds, etc. But for me, I can already see this cam will fill all my needs!

A couple notes - the cam comes with a quick start guide, a full and well-written manual, and a movie CD that are EXCELLENT and show and tell you how to set up and go in no time. You will have to invest in a set of rechargeable batteries and charger, as the cam comes with only a non-rechargeable battery. For shooting models, especially closeups, a tripod will be mandatory to avoid "hand shake". I also bought a case and neck strap, though the cam comes with a wrist strap.

The only potential weakness I see is in the construction of the battery compartment lid - it seems somewhat flimsy, because it must be pressed dowm, against the resistance of the batteries on their contacts inside, and then clicked shut. I'll have to adjust my usual ham-fisted technique to keep it working over the long term, but, I think I can do it!

Now, I will go and try to get a few sample pics of models to post for you. A new problem arises - the pics will be good, but will show my amateur modelling skills!!!

best regards,
Judson

November 25th, 2003, 1:18 am #10

...my experience with cameras and photography are right there with yours, as well as my budget for a digital camera. I appreciate your very thorough post of what you think of the 3100 so far. I too will mainly be using the camera for hobby related purposes, so I'll be very interested to see how the pics it takes look.

Cheers,
Mike