NEW! Upcoming Tamiya 1/48th scale Elefant

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

NEW! Upcoming Tamiya 1/48th scale Elefant

November 3rd, 2016, 7:57 am #1

Gents,

Tittle says all. –> The beast is here!

Lu

(Images courtesy Gustav Jung)

November 3rd, 2016, 9:20 am #2

HI
Great news.

Bruce will be sad its not his M3

However with a new fighting compartment roof,drivers front plate and i think engine deck (?) you can do the Kursk Ferdinand. Ideally you need new tracks for the earlier ones but I'm not sure if the difference is noticeable in 1/48.

Regards
Amdrew

November 3rd, 2016, 9:35 am #3

Andrew,

You are very correct and that is my choice for sure. I have zero interest in the Elefant but I am big fan of Ferdinand instead.

Lu

November 4th, 2016, 3:30 am #4

to the Ferdinand somewhat easier, thought there are snares galore in the details - a lot was changed during the reworking of the Ferdinands into the Elefants. I suspect the early tracks could be ignored in 1/48, but we'll have to see what the kit looks like. I would build this as the Elefant, since Italy is one of my theater interests. I would bet that someone in the aftermarket sphere will bring out a conversion set for the Ferdinand for the Kursk fans.

November 4th, 2016, 3:33 am #5

superstructure roof, engine section deck, and front plate, would allow Tamiya to release a modified version as the Ferdinand, though its anyone's guess as to whether or not they actually would do that.

November 4th, 2016, 5:34 am #6

Hi Bruce
I thought that originally but I feel the breakdown is actually to keep small parts to a minimum.

If they wanted a Ferdinand engine deck they just had to mould the Elephants two side engine covers as separate items. This would do away with the need for a whole new engine deck.

As you say the IF or WHEN Tamiya do a Ferdinand would be anyone's guess. Without going to the lengths of Dragon, Tamiya could quite easily increase their 1/48 range by making these simple variants of tanks, but that's another story !!

Regards
Andrew

November 5th, 2016, 12:58 am #7

Gents,

Tittle says all. –> The beast is here!

Lu

(Images courtesy Gustav Jung)

. . . of the German stuff. Where's an M3 half track?

November 5th, 2016, 2:47 am #8

November 5th, 2016, 2:38 pm #9

superstructure roof, engine section deck, and front plate, would allow Tamiya to release a modified version as the Ferdinand, though its anyone's guess as to whether or not they actually would do that.
Many of Tamiya's 1/48 scale armor kits are the basis for at least two different kits. Makes sense that they would eventually expand on this chassis. Wasn't there an old Italeri 1/35 scale tank that used the same hull as the Ferdinand/Elefant? I'd like to see that one.
RobG

November 5th, 2016, 4:23 pm #10

. . . of the German stuff. Where's an M3 half track?
Give that man a gold star nt