New tamiya release.

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

New tamiya release.

April 15th, 2009, 10:56 am #1

HI all, I know Tamiya are releaseing this following item, but, still in my early days with armour, I'm not sure what it is.
It's description reads,"Germany Hanomag Armored personnel carrier Type D Schützen-Panzerwagen (Plastic model)"
I think it may be another SD Kfz251 but a ausf D.

Would that be right, and if so, why when AFV have one?
Thanks all, Paul.

April 15th, 2009, 12:17 pm #2

Paul,

Yes, that is one SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D.

Lu

April 15th, 2009, 12:27 pm #3

HI all, I know Tamiya are releaseing this following item, but, still in my early days with armour, I'm not sure what it is.
It's description reads,"Germany Hanomag Armored personnel carrier Type D Schützen-Panzerwagen (Plastic model)"
I think it may be another SD Kfz251 but a ausf D.

Would that be right, and if so, why when AFV have one?
Thanks all, Paul.
n/t

April 15th, 2009, 2:12 pm #4

people buying their kit of the SdKfz 251 ausf D based on the Big T's reputation for build quality (good fit, good instructions) etc. Their only problem is that the upcoming AFV Club '251 ausf D may very well be better detailed and cheaper to buy. There are enough different variants of the '251 that AFV Club could still prevail by offering a "3 for 1" kit enabling the modeler to make one of three different versions, or by offering (quickly) different versions of the ausf D. They also could go back and do a couple of different versions of their excellent ausf C.

April 15th, 2009, 6:35 pm #5

I don't believe any of these kits exist! We haven't seen any AFV Club Hanomags here in the UK. I reckon it is all a spoof set up by the same people who convinced us they landed on the moon!! It is all a cunning plan!  Ha! Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't STILL  out to get you!!

Bruce, I think the three in one idea would appeal to modellers a lot. Some of the aircraft manufacturers (Eduard?) have done a similar thing with their products.

Tim

www.fighting48th.com

April 15th, 2009, 7:03 pm #6

Some of us buy everything Tamiya releases in 1/48; be it superior, or just acceptable. We do this simply because of their build-ability - Tamiya's kits "fall together"; that's a given. Subject selection appears to be the product of whim; likely on the part of the Wizard himself. But I don't care; if it's Tamiya engineered, it'll assemble perfectly.

AFV Club seems to be following a selection pattern based on economics. First the 251 C as a trial balloon, and soon the 251 D. The chassis sprus will be constant with only new superstructure tooling needed. (Just look at all the 1/35 scale 251 releases they've done on that single chassis!!) Which is why I expect a nice SdKfz 11 coming from them before year's end.

Look out if they start doing some of their artillery items!!
Just my thoughts.....

April 15th, 2009, 7:05 pm #7

I don't believe any of these kits exist! We haven't seen any AFV Club Hanomags here in the UK. I reckon it is all a spoof set up by the same people who convinced us they landed on the moon!! It is all a cunning plan!  Ha! Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't STILL  out to get you!!

Bruce, I think the three in one idea would appeal to modellers a lot. Some of the aircraft manufacturers (Eduard?) have done a similar thing with their products.

Tim

www.fighting48th.com
ghosts as Tim said.

Haven't seen a single one here in germany. Preordered one long ago my store tells me as yet still not available. But neither did my modeling mates get any. Many webshops list it but can not deliver.

Was there a first batch of just 100 kits worldwide ?

Well, I can wait longer, lots to build, but I scratch my head about the deeper meaning of this.
If I were a model company and did a Sdkfz 251 that many people want I would get it out in masses to earn me some money .
And then I would refinance to do more variants, and then do US half tracks, the Panther family ... ooh I got carried away.

April 15th, 2009, 10:00 pm #8

n/t
My point was, why would they do something another company has already produced. I would have thought producing something completely different, maybe something from the Marder family or so, would have been a better idea, than just compete with another brand.
The Afv kit, is alot cheaper than what the Tamiya kit will be, so I'll be sticking with it, though I have to admit, they're both tempting.
All the best, Paul.

April 15th, 2009, 11:44 pm #9

Some of us buy everything Tamiya releases in 1/48; be it superior, or just acceptable. We do this simply because of their build-ability - Tamiya's kits "fall together"; that's a given. Subject selection appears to be the product of whim; likely on the part of the Wizard himself. But I don't care; if it's Tamiya engineered, it'll assemble perfectly.

AFV Club seems to be following a selection pattern based on economics. First the 251 C as a trial balloon, and soon the 251 D. The chassis sprus will be constant with only new superstructure tooling needed. (Just look at all the 1/35 scale 251 releases they've done on that single chassis!!) Which is why I expect a nice SdKfz 11 coming from them before year's end.

Look out if they start doing some of their artillery items!!
Just my thoughts.....
I mentioned the 3 in 1 kit because they have done this in 1/35. If AFV Club can do several variants of the '251 ausf D, there will be plenty of room for both manufacturers' products. I would not right now expect Tamiya to do more than one version of the '251 D, but of course, the Wizard is free to change his mind at any time.

April 15th, 2009, 11:54 pm #10

My point was, why would they do something another company has already produced. I would have thought producing something completely different, maybe something from the Marder family or so, would have been a better idea, than just compete with another brand.
The Afv kit, is alot cheaper than what the Tamiya kit will be, so I'll be sticking with it, though I have to admit, they're both tempting.
All the best, Paul.
The AFV Club kit is very well detailed, certainly the best in 1/48 right now, and it is buildable (based on my test fitting stuff). And, it may be $10 cheaper, and maybe even more, with the recent Tamiya price increases. Of course, the key is AFV Club not taking years to get out their '251 ausf D. A really good SdKfz 11 3-ton tractor would be very useful, as it hauled three major light-medium artillery pieces: the 7.5cm Pak 40, the 10.5cm leFH 18 howitzer, and the 2cm Flakvierling 38 AA mount. I wouldn't mind styrene versions of the Pak and the howitzer.....