New Tamiya Matilda

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

New Tamiya Matilda

July 25th, 2012, 10:25 am #1

Anyone ordered / received theirs yet?

Just asking, cause they've been listed on the HK sites (HobbyLink / LuckModel) the past week or so.

Cheers

July 25th, 2012, 11:55 am #2

Track48 has (had?) stock, they haven't been released in the UK yet, they are due sometime this month so I expect the antipodes will see them after that.

July 25th, 2012, 12:10 pm #3

It is a lovely kit, considerably more accurate than the old Bandai model. Although the turret roof hatch and driver's cover are molded closed, overall the detail is much cleaner and better done, as you'd expect for a new kit compared to one 30 years old. The suspension is molded as one piece per side, but this won't be obvious for the standard Matilda. For the BEF version used in France in 1940, the lack of proper mountings MAY be visible, as the suspension was set lower on the hull to raise the ground clearance, and thus more of it shows. Buy with confidence..... The only caveat is that there were differences in the details of the doors and mud chutes in the side plates, and Tamiya has chosen to do a Mk III/IV, so there may be some adjustments needed to model an earlier tank. A good reference on the Matilda would be useful. For those who want to do Russian or Pacific theatre tanks, aftermarket spud tracks will be needed; the kit has only the flat plate tracks used in the desert and France. A new kit will no doubt inspire the aftermarket folks to make some nice stuff.
Last edited by Bruce Culver on July 25th, 2012, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 25th, 2012, 1:14 pm #4

Track48 has (had?) stock, they haven't been released in the UK yet, they are due sometime this month so I expect the antipodes will see them after that.
... we're a lot closer to HK and Japan!

Mine's in transit and will hopefully be here in the next couple of days.

Hopefully the winking smiley I inserted above came out OK - no offense intended!

I just thought it a bit odd that the usual feeding frenzy wasn't in full swing.

Bruce: thanks for the info - it sounds good.

Cheers
Last edited by ModelStarter on July 25th, 2012, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 25th, 2012, 4:25 pm #5

...my bad for not thinking about it properly, I've got a chap on watch for me as soon as the kits hit our shores, asked him to do me a couple

July 25th, 2012, 6:39 pm #6

Just asking, cause they've been listed on the HK sites (HobbyLink / LuckModel) the past week or so.

Cheers

July 27th, 2012, 12:30 am #7

... via Nippon. I will tell you it is difficult not to salivate when one opens the box; it's that good. My only real gripe is the absence of periscope fittings; just an open hole. I can live with everything else.

July 27th, 2012, 3:17 pm #8

Cheers
last week.
Its a beauty of a kit,especially since they did away with the all metal lower hull and went with separate weights as seen in some Tamiya aircraft kits.
So far I have the running gear done and working on the tracks.

Regards

Mark

July 28th, 2012, 5:48 pm #9

Cheers
...from HLJ.

I can't talk about the accuracy (specially after reading many criticisms at Track 48 forum) but the parts looks crispy and well detailed on the sprues. Maybe some corrections must be done but you can't find a better basis to work with, in my opinion.

Cheers!

CAESAR <s>.</s>

July 28th, 2012, 5:51 pm #10

Forgot to write my name (or it didn't pick it...) N/T.