New Tamiya Elefant...

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

New Tamiya Elefant...

July 25th, 2012, 1:12 am #1

Hi all..

Just received the new Tamiya Elefant kit...and its a winner!
Typical Tamiya quality..love the link and length tracks (same as on the earlier Jagdtiger)..I know some people questioned the idea of this release given the quality of the Dragon offering..but what can you say? When the big T bring out a new 1/35 kit of anything..it screams quality.

Just waiting for the seperate Zimm set to arrive,and will dive into it.
Best.
Ray Blythe.

July 25th, 2012, 10:10 am #2

Hi Ray,

I hope that you're well.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the Tamiya Elefant. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on one of these kits - I'm a total sucker for all things Tamiya (yes, even if the vehicle in question has already been kitted by other manufacturers).

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Tamiya zimmerit set once you've had the chance to give it the once over.

Cheers,

Alex

July 25th, 2012, 2:53 pm #3

where are you located? Stateside or across the pond?

July 25th, 2012, 9:48 pm #4

nt

July 25th, 2012, 11:54 pm #5

as the tornado twists?

July 26th, 2012, 9:45 am #6

Hi all..

Just received the new Tamiya Elefant kit...and its a winner!
Typical Tamiya quality..love the link and length tracks (same as on the earlier Jagdtiger)..I know some people questioned the idea of this release given the quality of the Dragon offering..but what can you say? When the big T bring out a new 1/35 kit of anything..it screams quality.

Just waiting for the seperate Zimm set to arrive,and will dive into it.
Best.
Ray Blythe.
In case anyone has toyed with the idea of getting an early start on the Tamiya Elefant...and possibly using an ATAK zimm set ie : ATAK SE35-06 Zimmerit Elefant s.Pz.653,Italy 1944,KG "ULBRICHT"(TYPE 2) For Dragon kit 6311 ?

In a word : DON'T.
I had one on hand,and out of curiosity..and a quick test fit..surprise surprise its way off...none of the conical bolt holes are in the same position.
The kit does fall together however..
So its either wait for a dedicated ATAK zimm set for the Tamiya offering...or try the new Tamiya zimm set for same.

Assuming your not brave enough to tackle it yourself...in which case,power ahead!

Best.
Ray Blythe.

July 26th, 2012, 10:11 am #7

Hi Ray,
I just finished Tamiya's Elefant and I tried the zimmerit sheet. Whilst it's a nice idea, the detail is a little shallow and it also needs trimming out from the backing sheet. I have included a couple of shots of my Elefant with home-applied putty zimm plus a shot showing the printed zimm under a thin layer of XF57 Buff paint. Even if you're really accurate with the modelling knife (as you can see, I wasn't!), you'll still need to apply a little filler where the sheet surrounds the bolt heads etc..

I hope you don't mind me partially hijacking your thread to show these pics!
Cheers,
Marcus
TMMI

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

This review model will appear in TMMI 203, September 2012

July 26th, 2012, 10:27 am #8

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your input...what a shame it looks so "shallow" lacking definition is a shame..as you say a nice idea,but lost in translation!
Ohh well ..time to get out the putty I guess ..
Great pics Marcus..thanks for a sneak peak!
Best.
Ray.