New resource - British Vehicle Names lists

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

New resource - British Vehicle Names lists

April 7th, 2012, 9:20 am #1

When putting together the Names chapter in Warpaint Vol 4 it became clear that trying to do justice to the current state of research on the topic would be extremely difficult in book form, simply because many thousands of names are now known. Therefore, working with Kevin Tucker and the MMP staff, we decided to put the tabular information in PDF form on the MMP website. This allowed us to de-clutter the book (the chapter on names gives the background detail, conventions, official v unofficial etc) and also to present the info in a way that will allow simple amendment and updating.

Therefore, follow the link below to the tables. There are three - WW2, Pre-WW2, and Post-WW2. The WW2 table includes other Commonwealth etc nations working under the British marking systems, so Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czeckoslovakia, India, New Zealand, and Poland etc during the war are included.

There is also a link to an EM address that should be used to enter YOUR comments and suggested amendments, additions etc. I would encourage everyone to play their part in the project, and for which you will receive credit. We will update fairly frequently, probably about twice a year. Kevin will be the main author of the WW2 table, I will look after the other two.

If this takes off, works, and proves to be popular, I intend to do the same with my census number listings research, which has a line entry for every vehicle on the WW2 census system from T1 to T353000+, and which mainly covers census numbers prefixed as T, F, S, REC, CT, including the pre-WW2 census system (eg you won't find B vehicles there)

The link is:

http://www.mmpbooks.biz/mmp/books.php?book_id=171

Dick Taylor and Kevin Tucker

11a

April 7th, 2012, 1:48 pm #2

Hi Dick and Kevin,

Given the ever changing infomration this would seem a good idea so that the data could be updated as you say.

My only observation is I would prefer vehicles blocked by regiment/unit or alternatively by vehicle type although I know that's not necessarly the way others work.

My rational for this is quite simple, given the extend of the listing then finding anything would be so much simpler than scrolling through the whole list. User friendly woudl be my thoughts here.

Nice work guys.

Cheers

Al

April 7th, 2012, 2:08 pm #3

When putting together the Names chapter in Warpaint Vol 4 it became clear that trying to do justice to the current state of research on the topic would be extremely difficult in book form, simply because many thousands of names are now known. Therefore, working with Kevin Tucker and the MMP staff, we decided to put the tabular information in PDF form on the MMP website. This allowed us to de-clutter the book (the chapter on names gives the background detail, conventions, official v unofficial etc) and also to present the info in a way that will allow simple amendment and updating.

Therefore, follow the link below to the tables. There are three - WW2, Pre-WW2, and Post-WW2. The WW2 table includes other Commonwealth etc nations working under the British marking systems, so Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czeckoslovakia, India, New Zealand, and Poland etc during the war are included.

There is also a link to an EM address that should be used to enter YOUR comments and suggested amendments, additions etc. I would encourage everyone to play their part in the project, and for which you will receive credit. We will update fairly frequently, probably about twice a year. Kevin will be the main author of the WW2 table, I will look after the other two.

If this takes off, works, and proves to be popular, I intend to do the same with my census number listings research, which has a line entry for every vehicle on the WW2 census system from T1 to T353000+, and which mainly covers census numbers prefixed as T, F, S, REC, CT, including the pre-WW2 census system (eg you won't find B vehicles there)

The link is:

A cracking bit of work - it's good to have a constantly updated version online now.
Many thanks Dick and Kevin.

April 7th, 2012, 2:23 pm #4

The link is:

Thanks for making this publically available, too. That's a very generous act on your part.

Mike

April 7th, 2012, 2:34 pm #5

Hi Dick and Kevin,

Given the ever changing infomration this would seem a good idea so that the data could be updated as you say.

My only observation is I would prefer vehicles blocked by regiment/unit or alternatively by vehicle type although I know that's not necessarly the way others work.

My rational for this is quite simple, given the extend of the listing then finding anything would be so much simpler than scrolling through the whole list. User friendly woudl be my thoughts here.

Nice work guys.

Cheers

Al
The data in the PDF can be "selected" abd "Copied" and then dumped into Word or Excel. Once in Excel you can reorder the data anyway you want. You can even import it into a true database program if you want.

Paul

Paul Roberts

Join AMPS!
www.amps-armor.org

April 7th, 2012, 2:46 pm #6

The link is:

Bravo, Gentlemen, on what can only be described as a seminal work.

The imagination boggles......So many names, so little time to build!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

April 7th, 2012, 2:51 pm #7

The link is:

While the naming information is good for all Commonwealth model builders and historians, I am particularly pleased to read of your plans to post census numbers. Beyond two lists on the G103 Yahoo group and one on the Sherman Minutia site, I don't know of any similar listings for US Army and USMC vehicles.

KL

April 7th, 2012, 4:56 pm #8

The link is:

Superb piece of work Dick and Kevin, very well done!

April 7th, 2012, 10:03 pm #9

'Blondie' the Firefly

is from 4th CLY at Villers and is this tank

100% confirmed.
Last edited by Michael Kenny on April 7th, 2012, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 7th, 2012, 10:15 pm #10

With the number of names within the WWII section there are undoubtably errors, I would have been more surprised if there wasn't, but this sort of confirmation is exactly what we are looking for. Thank you, one marked for correction!

Cheers
Kevin