New Ostwind? Old Questions?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

New Ostwind? Old Questions?

May 16th, 2012, 10:21 pm #1

Tom C. Posted pics of the "better late than never" DML Ostwind in the CC. Glad to finally see this kit. But I'm confused. I asked Tom about the radio operators hatch being moved. As I thought this was one of the few facts we knew about the Ostwind. The new kit has a standard IV J Final hull. I think this is most correct, but in searching for info on line I saw that the original DML advertising a year or two back bragged of relocated radio hatch and larger turret ring. SO WHAT HAPPENED SINCE THE ORIGINAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF THIS KIT TO CHANGE THE DESIGN? Do we have DEFINITIVE information on this rare vehicle at last? I'm biased, as I scratch built an Ostwind years back and went to great trouble to move the hatch fwd. I'm sure ill get this kit. Just wonder where this new info is from?
Also heard talk of another in action photo? Not Czechoslovakia. Anyone care to share? Is it the one in line under some trees?
Last edited by stevensjs on May 16th, 2012, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2012, 10:39 pm #2

John,

If you buy the newer Panzer Tracts 12-1, all will be made clearer. When DML first announced this kit, the most current information at the time was used in its development. The new Panzer Tracts corrected the old misconceptions based on much newer research and the new kit is based on that information.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Cockle

May 16th, 2012, 11:03 pm #3

I'm sure this is the case. Being in the modeling waste land of SW Ohio just not that much in the way of research and now post divorce poor right now, just curious if new records turned up, or an Ostwind found in a bog?
And where did the apparent myth of the redesigned hull top come from? Not asking for free literature, just enlightenment. John S.

May 16th, 2012, 11:23 pm #4

Tom C. Posted pics of the "better late than never" DML Ostwind in the CC. Glad to finally see this kit. But I'm confused. I asked Tom about the radio operators hatch being moved. As I thought this was one of the few facts we knew about the Ostwind. The new kit has a standard IV J Final hull. I think this is most correct, but in searching for info on line I saw that the original DML advertising a year or two back bragged of relocated radio hatch and larger turret ring. SO WHAT HAPPENED SINCE THE ORIGINAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF THIS KIT TO CHANGE THE DESIGN? Do we have DEFINITIVE information on this rare vehicle at last? I'm biased, as I scratch built an Ostwind years back and went to great trouble to move the hatch fwd. I'm sure ill get this kit. Just wonder where this new info is from?
Also heard talk of another in action photo? Not Czechoslovakia. Anyone care to share? Is it the one in line under some trees?
I notice the tracks in the kit don't match the ones in the photos but that is minor.

DAVID NICKELS

May 16th, 2012, 11:31 pm #5

One in production yard with 3 tents smiling for camera.
Two of same G hull vehicle abandoned in Novo Bernatky.
One "maybe" under tree lined street with a King Tiger. Curious if that is the one referenced over on CC thread. John S.

May 17th, 2012, 12:16 am #6

Right side view with the gun in full elevation

Front view of vehicle with gun in full elevation and 3 people (one an officer?) in front

Right side and rear view with child standing on engine deck

DAVID NICKELS

May 17th, 2012, 1:35 am #7

David,

Two of those three are of the same Ausf.G and the one with the three men in front is an Ausf.J with three return rollers. Eddy Willems just sent me one I had not seen before in the background of the Tiger II in Berlin that was discussed here a couple of weeks back. I only looked at the Tiger and not the rest of the vehicles. Unfortunately, it is too far away to see much detail other than it appears to have four return rollers.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Cockle

May 17th, 2012, 3:44 am #8

Just looked at the Berlin T II again and can't see an Ostwind? Can the pic be tossed up again with a big red arrow for the oblivious like me? JSS

May 17th, 2012, 5:26 am #9

John,

Sorry, that's because the photo he sent me looks like it was in the series of photos posted by Eric but is from a Frontline Illustrated book. Perhaps Eddy will post it here for us.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Cockle

May 17th, 2012, 8:47 am #10

Eddy