New Normandy Stug III

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

New Normandy Stug III

August 21st, 2012, 12:01 pm #1

Courtesy of Axis History Forum, an interesting new Stug III colour slide. A late model with saukopf mantlet, waffle pattern zimmerit and side skirts. Painted overall dunkelgelb. It appears that it is missing the front left sprocket and the crew have attempted to run without it, but that the vehicle has broken down.

No identifier as to unit, but it looks very similar to other photos I have seen of LSSAH Stug III, most notably in the river at Putanges.

Nick

August 21st, 2012, 3:34 pm #2

Nick,

Thanks for posting, great pic.
Interesting that this shows the dunkelgelb to look almost the same as the OD color of the GI's jackets.

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address

August 21st, 2012, 7:44 pm #3

Courtesy of Axis History Forum, an interesting new Stug III colour slide. A late model with saukopf mantlet, waffle pattern zimmerit and side skirts. Painted overall dunkelgelb. It appears that it is missing the front left sprocket and the crew have attempted to run without it, but that the vehicle has broken down.

No identifier as to unit, but it looks very similar to other photos I have seen of LSSAH Stug III, most notably in the river at Putanges.

Nick
They would have some difficulty in actually driving the beast with only one sprocket - it would just go in circles. Looks to me as if they short tracked it in preparation for towing.

Chris

August 21st, 2012, 8:45 pm #4

what is the provenance of the picture?
Not only is it the wrong aspect ratio for a slide, but after fade adjustment it sure looks like a colourized B&W shot...

August 21st, 2012, 11:02 pm #5

As to provenance, it originally came from a movie still at:http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_478526-Dai ... usf-G.html

Here is another photo from the same sequence:

As you can see, especially from details such as the fire extinguisher, either the coloriser is exceptionally good, or it is genuine 16mm colour.

Some other little details in the Stug photo: the muzzle is not dunkelgelb, rather the grey/green heat resistant paint seen on a lot of late war 75mm panzer guns; the towing eye has rubbed off to reveal the red primer beneath, not something you could discern from a b/w photo and finally, there is tonal variation in the trees to the rear, suggesting some form of flowering shrub, again not discernible in b/w....

I could be wrong, but I'd say classic US combat camera 16mm color, taken on an overcast day....

Nick

August 21st, 2012, 11:12 pm #6

The color could be enhanced/corrected a bit. The photo(s) themselves are quite nice and useful.
DAVID NICKELS

August 22nd, 2012, 3:39 pm #7

As to provenance, it originally came from a movie still at:http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_478526-Dai ... usf-G.html

Here is another photo from the same sequence:

As you can see, especially from details such as the fire extinguisher, either the coloriser is exceptionally good, or it is genuine 16mm colour.

Some other little details in the Stug photo: the muzzle is not dunkelgelb, rather the grey/green heat resistant paint seen on a lot of late war 75mm panzer guns; the towing eye has rubbed off to reveal the red primer beneath, not something you could discern from a b/w photo and finally, there is tonal variation in the trees to the rear, suggesting some form of flowering shrub, again not discernible in b/w....

I could be wrong, but I'd say classic US combat camera 16mm color, taken on an overcast day....

Nick
The link is broken, what movie is it? id like to check it out for more stills. Thanks for postin the stug btw