New dimensions of modelling?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

New dimensions of modelling?

October 13th, 2016, 12:22 pm #1

Hi all,
It is card model and not in Braille scale but nevertheless interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTyNF-v ... e=youtu.be
The rocket propellant is mix of sugar and cat litter, ignited by match heads. Range - over 20 meters.
Enjoy!

October 13th, 2016, 12:32 pm #2

Hi Illian,

Excellent little project that looks lots of fun. That has taken me back to my childhood and our messing with weedkiller and sugar. Nowadays we would be in jail, as we made pipe bombs from old aluminium tube and 'Jetex' fuse. Made for realistic explosions in our wargaming games out in the garden, happy days - totally oblivious to the danger of what we were doing.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 13th, 2016, 2:55 pm #3

Hi all,
The rocket propellant is mix of sugar and cat litter, ignited by match heads. Range - over 20 meters.
Enjoy!
I want one,the neighbours cat is in for a nasty shock the next time it comes in my garden after the Sparrows, depending on the range i reckon i can get it on its own home turf!!! Cat litter fuel too, talk about Poetic Justice, HA!

October 13th, 2016, 3:16 pm #4

Hi Illian,

Excellent little project that looks lots of fun. That has taken me back to my childhood and our messing with weedkiller and sugar. Nowadays we would be in jail, as we made pipe bombs from old aluminium tube and 'Jetex' fuse. Made for realistic explosions in our wargaming games out in the garden, happy days - totally oblivious to the danger of what we were doing.

All the best,

Paul
I remember my cousin having some sort of military drogue parachute and us making plans to jump off the roof with it..... that would have been a disaster....

October 13th, 2016, 5:37 pm #5

Hi all,
Enjoy!
thanks for posting the link!

October 13th, 2016, 6:08 pm #6

Hi all,
Enjoy!
but probably get you on a "watch list" over here

October 13th, 2016, 8:45 pm #7

I remember my cousin having some sort of military drogue parachute and us making plans to jump off the roof with it..... that would have been a disaster....
Mind you there were plenty of bruises, grazes and occasional cuts - badges of honour.

Cheers,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 14th, 2016, 8:42 am #8

Hi all,
Enjoy!
I remember a chap doing something similar with an HMS Warspite at my model boat club- he'd spent months working out how to get it all electrically operated, and it looked brilliant, always a big wow at the shows we did. Funnily enough the local council were very encouraging, because we were using a local (unused) boating lake, and the public were safely behind fences.

He started getting a bit blase about cleaning it all, until in the middle of a show, and the lake...

' Is that smoke, from the seaplane hanger?' Not sure, can't be'...

....Then the first lick of yellowish flame, with thick black smoke...

...Still it did look very realistic as it slid below the surface, superstructure blazing, from stem to stern.
What happens when you press this bu...........

October 14th, 2016, 8:11 pm #9

Yes, I remember a series of articles in 'Model Boats' or some such magazine many years ago (I started modelling with boats, but eventually realised that - as a soldier - packing a four foot model destroyer in my kitbag and jetting - well, propellering in those days, and I even travelled on the one but last troopship - off to the other side of the world was not practical) telling me how to make realistic depth charge throwers. Not only did the things fire the depth charges off the model warship(radio controlled of course) but they even exploded giving a realistic column of water after hitting the surface again. I don't remember him reporting a catastrophic fire though.
Chris

October 15th, 2016, 2:47 am #10

Hi all,
Enjoy!
Very cool. I'm sure there must be people my vintage and older who used to buy sulfer and saltpetre from local pharmacies and use just those and maybe some charcoal ground up with a hammer to make their own gun powder? We'd just make batches and burn them in tinfoil plates outside, but I bet if we'd had the internet, we'd have done stuff like this too!
--
Tim