New book on 1944 campaign in France

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

New book on 1944 campaign in France

July 18th, 2009, 1:14 pm #1

For hard-core 1944 Battle of France enthusiasts, there's a new French book on the fighting around Le Mans in August 1944 that may be of interest. I just got a copy, mainly in the hopes of finding new pics of US Army stuff in the campaign. It's OK on that subject, but I was surprised to find that there are a lot more shots of German AFVs. They are mostly photos taken by local residents in the towns in the Sarthe region and cover the usual range of German AFVs from the summer of 1944: PzKpfw IV, Jagdpanzer IV, StuGs, but there are a lot of little gems like a few new Puma shots and a few shots of odd balls like Flakpanzer 38(t, Panhard 178, and a few Becker conversions. This book is expensive, so I would only recommend it to modelers really interested in this campaign. There is also very good text info on the assortment of units that the German Army threw into the fighting in this sector. It can be ordered via the author's website:

http://liberation-sarthe.weebly.com/index.html

July 19th, 2009, 8:52 am #2

la 9.Panzer-Division

If it's got some good info on the 9th Pz, and some good photos that would be worth the price for me. Thanks for the link Steve.