Need some help finding "razor blade" sized "mini saw"

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Need some help finding "razor blade" sized "mini saw"

November 22nd, 2011, 5:55 pm #1

I tried looking for this on Google but all that kept coming up was the Tamiya "Razor Saw" and that is not what I am looking for. The particular item I am looking for is the size of a good 'ole fashioned razor blade but has "saw teeth" along the edges. I think it might have come with a handle to use with it as well. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it....

Thanks,
Tim

November 22nd, 2011, 6:12 pm #2

This should take you to the tools page.
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_28
Last edited by Warfrost on November 22nd, 2011, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2011, 6:28 pm #3

I tried looking for this on Google but all that kept coming up was the Tamiya "Razor Saw" and that is not what I am looking for. The particular item I am looking for is the size of a good 'ole fashioned razor blade but has "saw teeth" along the edges. I think it might have come with a handle to use with it as well. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it....

Thanks,
Tim
Tim,

As Mark said - UMM. Google UMM or Unique Master Models. Jon Vojtech (sp) is the owner and is very good at responding to requests. Check out the UMM site. Lots of great tools and some models as well, but mostly tools.

chuckw
Last edited by Chuck44ivy on November 22nd, 2011, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2011, 6:49 pm #4

Thanks,
Tim
UMM-USA... great seller

Ordered a bunch of stuff - flat lead wire, tools and a Black Dog resin set about 8:00 on 11 November, had a reply of products shipped by 10:30 and the items arrived before noon on Monday, 14 November... Almost as good as going to the local Hobbytown USA.

John
John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

November 22nd, 2011, 6:51 pm #5

Finally broke down and bought a Hez Punch. Greta communication and fast shipping. How to you like that flat lead wire? Saw the review of the product on AMPS and was thinking about adding that to a future order.
Last edited by Warfrost on November 22nd, 2011, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 23rd, 2011, 2:06 am #6

Mark,
The project that I got it for, a M1IP conversion, got sidetracked in favor of a Merkava IV. However, the flat wire does look useful for a multitude of details. I ended up getting all three sizes. I will probably get some of his larger sized round lead wire in the future.

John

John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

November 23rd, 2011, 3:21 am #7

Thanks,
Tim
n/t
Last edited by jeffryfontaine on November 23rd, 2011, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 23rd, 2011, 3:24 am #8

Thanks,
Tim
Here are two links to CMK Tools (on the Sprue Brothers Web Page):

Saw Blade Handle Set #H1010 ------>http://store.spruebrothers.com/cmk-tool ... 18229.aspx

Smooth Saw #H1003 ------>http://store.spruebrothers.com/cmk-tool ... 23994.aspx

This type requires the special tool handle but there are a number of different saw blade types to choose from so you can get a coarse cut or a very fine cut depending on the type of saw blade you order. The other saw blades listed for CMK are:

Ultra Smooth & Extra Smooth Saw #H1000

Ultra Smooth & Extra Smooth Saw (5 pack) #H1004 CMK Tools - Ultra Smooth & Extra Smooth Saw (5 pack) #H1004

Ultra Smooth Saw #H1001 CMK Tools - Ultra Smooth Saw #H1001

Ultra Smooth Saw (5 pack) #H1005 CMK Tools - Ultra Smooth Saw (5 pack) #H1005

Very Smooth Saw #H1002 CMK Tools - Very Smooth Saw #H1002

Very Smooth Saw (5 pack) #H1006 CMK Tools - Very Smooth Saw (5 pack) #H1006

November 23rd, 2011, 9:10 am #9

Thanks,
Tim
As I use surgical blades for cutting styrene, I would recommend the smallest bone saw blade. It fits on a regular surgical blade holder. They come in sterile (expensive) and non-sterile (cheap ten pack).

As i type this I realize this may sound a bit like a horror movie.

November 23rd, 2011, 1:38 pm #10

Thanks,
Tim
I got one from Micro Mark if that is some help.
Hubert