Need help with Mud and water

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Need help with Mud and water

Scott Dimmick
Scott Dimmick

September 10th, 2004, 11:46 am #1

I have a 1/72 M60A3 OPFOR vechicle I'm working on. I was thinking about putting it on a base that looks like a dug out fighting position. For that extra effect to show off the lovely German weather, I wanted to make the bottom of the fighting postion look like it has some muddy water in it. Not that much..maybe 3-4 inches of water in scale, just enough to cover the tracks up and come up the roadwheels a bit. I know I've seen Liquid clear resin, but I'm a bit gunshy about using it since I've heard many horry stories about it screwing up models from various people. Is there any other alteatives out there that I can use to get this effect?

Thanks

Scott

Frank Sullivan
Frank Sullivan

September 10th, 2004, 1:21 pm #2

I've tried resin with no great enthusiasm but courtesy of someone here a while back I discovered Impasto Gel by Atelier.

It comes in a jar and looks like old-style hair goop and takes a couple of hours to cure/dry from white goop to clear rubbery-looking stuff. It's not a liquid as such and you can poke and prod it into corners that liquid resin might not run into. Because it cures clear, you'll need to tint it lightly for a see-through effect or heavily for a heavily muddied water look. Trial and error.

Ateleier has a website for more details. The stuff is used to bulk up paint, so you should find it in art supply stores. There's a clear runny version and the white goop version, and you need the latter.

September 13th, 2004, 4:50 am #3

a product called realistic water. Iam currently
working on a 1/72 T-34/76 mired in a peat bog
and so far it is coming along nicely BUT follow the
directions.
Good Luck

TRIAD Tim