Need help with Bofors 37mm A/T gun

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Need help with Bofors 37mm A/T gun

May 21st, 2012, 12:14 am #1

I need info on the ammunition crates used for the 37mm Bofors A/T gun.
I am pretty sure no aftermarket of these exist. So I figure on scratching what I need.
Problem is I don't know what they looked like. Any pictures or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for any help.
Jim Stratton

May 21st, 2012, 11:22 am #2

Hi!

It all depends on whos armys Bofors were talking about!
I dont have my refereces here but afaik (and remember) there are at least three different boxes (swedish, polish and british).
Can you give me some more info on what gun youre building and im sure I can help you.

Desert-Erik
Sweden

CU@C4

www.c4-open.nu

May 21st, 2012, 12:32 pm #3

Erik:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am building a British Bofors as used by the LRDG mounted in the back of a Ford F30. ANy pictures or descriptions you have would be very helpful.
Best Regards,
Jim

May 21st, 2012, 1:39 pm #4

I need info on the ammunition crates used for the 37mm Bofors A/T gun.
I am pretty sure no aftermarket of these exist. So I figure on scratching what I need.
Problem is I don't know what they looked like. Any pictures or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for any help.
Jim Stratton
Hi Jim

Two companies make ammo crates that Im aware of; Azimut and SB Models. The problem with both sets that they include 50% American type (M42 duster) and 50% British. ... so you´ll need to buy a few sets to get enough (I believe they both are 4 + 4), or else you cast more.

Frank Glackin
IPMS Stockholm

May 21st, 2012, 7:48 pm #5

Frank, Frank, Frank... my good friend, there is a big difference between the Bofors 37mm AT gun and the 40 MM AA gun. You should know, living here in Sweden and everything.
Have to give you a lecture next time we meet, at C4-OPEN if not earlier.

Joking aside, these guns seems to be mixed up a lot, everytime the name of "Bofors" get mentioned most people think of the famous 40mm AA gun but Bofors have made a lot of guns.
The 37mm was exported and used by a lot of countries among them Spain, Denmark, Great Britain, Poland, Romania, Finland, Norway, Germany etc.
Its most famous action was at Beda Fomm were it did a god job stopping the italian armour.

Anyway, back to the original question.
The british used a rather large wooden crate for the Bofors ammo, you can see these stowed on a shelf on the 37mm Bofors Portee on Morris CS8 chassie:

http://www.societyofgentlemengamers.org ... =26&t=4520

Here is a link to one of my old builds of such a vehicle:

http://www.track-link.net/gallery/3212

I have also seen photos of Boforsguns in NA on the ground with these large crates beside them.

If you are building the LRDG Boforstruck you may find the photos on this webpage useful:

http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/csw.html

One of the photos shows the mount on a LRDG Fordtruck and if carefully examined (a better copy is included in the book "Kiwi Scorpions") one can see Bofors "ready" rounds stowed in rows between the mount and the wheelwells.

Also according to documents found by by Shane Lovell wich he shared with us here, there is documentation that this mount was inherited from the original chevrolet WA trucks.

But to answer your original question, any extra ammo for the Boforsguns were probably stowed in the large crates shown in the photos of the Portees.

One other thing. I dont know what kit you are using but i suppose its the TOM/Mirage kit (a kit I once upon a time helped out with).
This kit is pretty ok although not up to todays standard and some things can be done to make it beter. First of all some TLC but also Armo has a fantastic barrel for it, one of the best Ive seen, a real must!

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/armo-35731-37m ... 23417.html

Hth.

Desert-erik
Sweden

CU@C4

www.c4-open.nu
Last edited by Erik_Ahlstroem on May 22nd, 2012, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, 2012, 4:49 am #6

Minor correction.

Finland actually never used a 37 mm Bofors but the 40 mm. Only one 37 mm gun was taken as war booty from Russians.

Finland had seven different versions of the 40 mm Bofors:
- Svedish made for Holland
- Austrian
- licence build in Finland
- German
- Polish
- Hungarian
and British.
Plus six guns in Landsverk Anti AA-tanks, navy versions and post war modifications

My sources state that Bofors sold the gun into 17 countries before WW II. Which caliber into which I do not know.

Have fired with a 40 mm - nice gun!

May 23rd, 2012, 7:54 am #7

Hi!

I think you mix up the Bofors AA guns with the Bofors AT guns and maybe what you are calling a"Bofors 37mm from the russians" is actually the Soviet 37mm copy of the Bofors 40mm AA gun?
This gun is actually not a Bofors at all although based on the Bofors 40mm AA gun.
Afaik Bofors never made a 37mm AA gun, at least not in any qauntities.

What we are talking about here is the Bofors 37mm AT gun of wich Finland had plenty, please see the att link:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~ejuhola/7.62/bofors37mm.html

Hth

Desert-Erik
Sweden

CU@C4

www.c4-open.nu
Last edited by Erik_Ahlstroem on May 23rd, 2012, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, 2012, 4:13 pm #8

Indeed! My mistake!

One should properly wake up before replying into any conversation

All I wrote relates only to AA-guns.

Embarrassed,

Jukka

May 23rd, 2012, 9:21 pm #9

No need for appoligies, I know how it is, mornings arent my cup of tea either!

Desert-Erik

CU@C4

www.c4-open.nu