Need help with a brief translation of Russian article

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Need help with a brief translation of Russian article

February 6th, 2012, 10:01 pm #1

I hardly dare ask, but would anyone be able to provide a brief outline translation of a two-page article in Russian? It is a .pdf file and I can't unlock it to use a translation program, so I'm relying on good old-fashioned help!

Essentially, I just need to know the key message in the article, not a word-by-word translation.

I believe the article says the model is over-size, but I want to know if anything else is said.

Please email me if you think you may be able to assist.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

February 7th, 2012, 12:51 pm #2

Hi Chris:

Re: Box review of Trumpeter BTR-40 in M-Khobby by Andrei Ryabkov

The long and short of it: Trumpeter have done their usual thorough job of screwing up every possible dimension. Thats probably not what you wanted to know.

The text mainly concerns uncertainty over whether the model is wrong or the drawing is wrong. He compares three different drawings: all match each other and correspond with published information. Thats most of the article.

He finally concludes problem is with model, that it is related to the width of spare wheel, 24cm. The prototype is 5000 mm long WITH spare on rear wall. The model is 5000/35 mm up to the rear wall, BEFORE the spare tire, a difference of 240/35 mm. Ouch.

It gets worse, and I quote: The dimension in the manual and data are for the operational vehicle, not the hull itself. The clever Chinese, clearly, did not consider this and extended the length of the hull to fix the rear wall at 5000 mm. To do this, they stretched all the elements of the hull along the x-axis, irrevocably wrecking the proportions. To correct the hull with a fretsaw and somehow fix it in parts is not possible, my translation. This extends to the placement of cross members and the rear wheels along the frame, too.

He also comments that the model is too wide by about 7% or 1.5 mm. Other than that, the engine is very nice and the moulding is good, with dubious detail because of the other problems and I can tell he has no more enthusiasm for this kit.

Regards
Scott Fraser

February 8th, 2012, 4:39 pm #3

Despite the tales of woe coming from the article, it looks to me as if things aren't quite that bad.

I could be horribly wrong, but I think that Trumpeter got hold of a plan and scaled it up so that the BODY is 1/35 of 5000mm long. As it is the body plus the spare wheel that is 5000mm overall, this had the effect of over-enlarging the plans by 6%.

The body does not look distorted to me, just too big (around 1/33 scale).

The solution, if one seeks to use the kit, is to use 54mm figures (or 1/32).

Alternatively, many 1/35 figures would be fine, as Mr. Google says that many Russians in 1950 were shorter than current average height!

A disappointing screw-up by Trumpeter, but I have to say that the kit is generally very good, and I am doing one for an article in Tamiya Magazine.

Chris

Chris Lloyd-Staples
MAFVA Information Officer
Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

February 8th, 2012, 6:45 pm #4

I don't have the kit to look. The hull has been stretched and it is also too wide. Whether they actually scaled it up with the proportions intact is another question. Anyway, have fun with the kit. These vehicles were quite ubiquitous.

Cheers
Scott