Need camera recommendation.

This discussion group is is hosted by Robert Oehler and dedicated to the art of photographing models. Subjects include tips & techniques, equipment, lighting, and digital photography.

Need camera recommendation.

April 15th, 2009, 7:02 pm #1

It's finally time to go digital and replace my Canon A-1 and AE-1, both of which I love, and if I could spring for their digital equivalent I would. However, I'm limited to about $200 so DSLR is out. What would you guys recommend?

Michael

April 16th, 2009, 5:13 am #2

The Sony H50 was released around May of last year. It had all the features I was looking for, great Macro range (1cm), a remote control and a tiliting LCD on the back. I bought the camera for $369 and it is currently going for $329 at Amazon. I realize it is higher than your price range, but you get what you pay for. I think the only cameras out there for less than US$200 are the point and shoot cameras which are not really suitable for high quality pictures of models.

The next version of this camera is the HX1. It looks like it will have many of the same features as my H50 with a higher Megapixel count.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Aloha,
Val

April 16th, 2009, 11:50 am #3

thanks for your response, and I am perfectly aware that you get what you pay for. However, as I said, I am not in a position to pay more than $200: if I could, I would. I am also aware that for that price I will be unable to get a DSLR camera, which is the reason that I said "a DSLR is out." I realize that any solution I happen to find will be less than perfect and will not be the optimum setup for taking pictures of models. Hence my post asking for recommendations of a camera within my price range.

Have a nice day.
Michael

April 16th, 2009, 4:50 pm #4

I got my Sony W30 for $179 and I love it. It's a fun small camera that is good for everyday use and for model under construction photos. With the right techniques, it can take decent model photos with the entire model in focus, but editing of the final image will be in order.

The H50 is not a DSLR. Minimum DSLR cameras run around $600. I too ruled out getting a DSLR when I was searching for a digital camera.

For a good review including sample photos of any of the <$200 point and shoots, visit www.dpreview.com. This site has the most thorough reviews of cameras I have ever seen.<br>
Good luck in your search.

Val

The photo below was taken with the Sony W30 point and shoot:

April 16th, 2009, 5:05 pm #5

It's finally time to go digital and replace my Canon A-1 and AE-1, both of which I love, and if I could spring for their digital equivalent I would. However, I'm limited to about $200 so DSLR is out. What would you guys recommend?

Michael
Look around your area for camera stores but avoid chains.
Many will deal in used cameras which can save you a lot of cash but the guys behind the counter are nearly always willing to talk photography with you and if you tell them your situation most will be willing to point you in the right direction. Some may even be willing to take a camera in trade.

Mark

April 17th, 2009, 11:07 am #6

Michael
Thanks for the help, guys. n/t

May 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm #7

The Sony H50 was released around May of last year. It had all the features I was looking for, great Macro range (1cm), a remote control and a tiliting LCD on the back. I bought the camera for $369 and it is currently going for $329 at Amazon. I realize it is higher than your price range, but you get what you pay for. I think the only cameras out there for less than US$200 are the point and shoot cameras which are not really suitable for high quality pictures of models.

The next version of this camera is the HX1. It looks like it will have many of the same features as my H50 with a higher Megapixel count.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Aloha,
Val

Greeting,

I am also looking at the Sony H50. Have you had any problems. Your pictures look great.

Thanks
David

May 20th, 2009, 4:37 pm #8

I did buy an extension tube for the front of the camera to protect the servos moving the lens in and out and to keep dust and dirt from fouling the servos and gears.

Here's a pic of the camera with the tube (and my entire kit):

Lens case, filters (UV, IR, Polarizer, setup rings), spare batteries and memory sticks, lens brush, and camera bag at the top. I travel a lot so I wanted a lightweight kit to take with me.

Here is a Infrared photo I took with the night shot feature:

And a photo of a 1/35th scale figure:

I heartily recommend the H50 as a great camerra for models.

Aloha,
Val