Nam era Marine info needed

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

Nam era Marine info needed

April 13th, 2012, 4:25 am #1

I've got an easy dozen figures I want to paint up and I need to know which OD Green I should use, it's been years since I painted anything! Also, I need squad size and TO&E from that era; Hue City 1968, info from vets is highly appreciated (Semper Fi), please no guessing, no links to still shots of FMJ or other movies.

April 13th, 2012, 7:40 am #2

Mark,please take a look these links.
It`s for details and colors
http://www.vietnamgear.com/equipment.aspx
And this is for inspiration
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13476480@N ... 494821152/

Vladi

April 13th, 2012, 11:03 am #3

what's everyone's favorite paint these days, model-flex, vallejo (?), etc...And do they have an accurate OD Green?

April 13th, 2012, 12:42 pm #4

First off, I paint almost entirely in Vallejo acrylics.

Base jungle utility uniform.... 893 Dark Green.
It matches a set of un-used utilities my father returned with. However, that's a new set. If you want them dirty/faded/used....you need to mix colors...I add small amounts of USA Uniform, SS camo pale brown, and Ivory in varying amounts to get a number of shades.

Also, Russian Uniform, and Brown Violet will cover most, if not all of your needs for painting gear.

The Mitchell pattern helmet cover is 5 colors, but I will leave that one up to you, unless you want my mixes for that.

Jungle boots...Brown Violet and Black/Black Grey

Make sure most if not all of your Marines are equipped with an M17 protective mask....A LOT of CS gas was used in Hue, as well as Chemical Smoke.
Hopefully that covers what you need, if not, PLEASE feel free to email me.
Best of luck!
Rod

April 13th, 2012, 7:48 pm #5

Feel free to email me with what colors you reccomend, markstation01 (AT) yahoo.com I understand shading to show wear and tear on a uniform. But what colors do I start with and lighten or darken to paint flak vests and web gear

April 14th, 2012, 2:51 am #6

With more info.

Rod

April 14th, 2012, 5:50 pm #7

I've got an easy dozen figures I want to paint up and I need to know which OD Green I should use, it's been years since I painted anything! Also, I need squad size and TO&E from that era; Hue City 1968, info from vets is highly appreciated (Semper Fi), please no guessing, no links to still shots of FMJ or other movies.
different shades will look more realistic and add to the look.

April 15th, 2012, 2:47 am #8

...what I am asking is what paints are available today, that are most popular. I have not painted in years and don't know which brand I should use.