Mystery Tobruk Panzer Picture

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Mystery Tobruk Panzer Picture

chris ballance
chris ballance

July 20th, 2003, 5:16 am #1

I was looking the Australian War Memorial site concerning battles around Tobruk and found an very interesting picture of a turretless Panzer IV. At first I thought this was just a knocked out vehicle that had lost its turret. However, after a closer look I wondered if the vehicle was not a field convered IFV or bergepanzer. Take a look and see what you think.

Just type in 009589 in the search field at the following page to see the picture in question:

http://piction1.awm.gov.au/pls/pictionP ... &bos=Win32

steven oda
steven oda

July 20th, 2003, 6:15 am #2

Chris,

Looks like a Panzer IV Ausf D or E with its turret blown off. Additional armored plate were added to front. To no avail.

steve

Bill Morran
Bill Morran

July 20th, 2003, 6:23 am #3

I was looking the Australian War Memorial site concerning battles around Tobruk and found an very interesting picture of a turretless Panzer IV. At first I thought this was just a knocked out vehicle that had lost its turret. However, after a closer look I wondered if the vehicle was not a field convered IFV or bergepanzer. Take a look and see what you think.

Just type in 009589 in the search field at the following page to see the picture in question:

Chris

If you can access the Concord's Armor of the Deutsches Afrikakorps by Tom Cockle. On page 9 is a picture of this tank from a different angle that clearly shows the turret. If you look carefully at the Museum picture the tommy with the long pants has his foot on the barrel.
Although it makes me wonder what the thing that almost seems to be canvas wrapped track ( concord book ) on the top is or was originally.

Bill

Roger Cockburn
Roger Cockburn

July 20th, 2003, 10:01 am #4

The barrel poking out of the driver's visor suggests that to me.

Cheers,
Roger

chris ballance
chris ballance

July 20th, 2003, 5:46 pm #5

Chris

If you can access the Concord's Armor of the Deutsches Afrikakorps by Tom Cockle. On page 9 is a picture of this tank from a different angle that clearly shows the turret. If you look carefully at the Museum picture the tommy with the long pants has his foot on the barrel.
Although it makes me wonder what the thing that almost seems to be canvas wrapped track ( concord book ) on the top is or was originally.

Bill
NM

steven oda
steven oda

July 20th, 2003, 8:37 pm #6

Chris,

Shows both sides of this same tank. Caption states that a 25-pounder blew the turret clean off. The turret is seen lying, upside-down on the right side of the Pz IV.

He claims the tank was attached to Pz Regiment 5. Loss during battle of April 14, at Tobruk.

Craig Mortensen
Craig Mortensen

July 20th, 2003, 9:36 pm #7

Eric Grove's World War II Tanks, page 18, shows this same photo. Caption reads that it is a rare PzKpfw IV, Ausf D Bergepanzer, and notes the possibility of a flamethrower in the drivers visor.

Tom Cockle
Tom Cockle

July 21st, 2003, 3:07 am #8

and this is very obvious from the photograph taken on the right side. The 'flame gun' in the the driver's visor is actually a blown off return roller mount, likely placed there by one of the British soldiers.

Tom