My two M4A3 Shermans

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

My two M4A3 Shermans

April 12th, 2012, 7:17 pm #1

Hi folks!

The last days I've been naging alot on you guys for help on my sherman project, sorry for that... So now it's time for me to finally show you my progress on my project.

It started out with one sherman that I bought at the local IPMS (Vestfold) meeting around christmas last year. It had been a long time since my last sherman, and I feelt like building one again. In the kit there where also some PE from ABER. And after collecting as much goodies as I could, I started working on it.
What I've done with it so far is to replace the kit boggies with new ones from AFV Club, replaced the barrel (needless to say) with the ABER barrel, added surface texture (both cast and rolled steel), scratchbuilt some minor details, and added welds and drainingholes where needed.
There are ofcourse more to come, like adding AKs resin lightlenses, and the infamous US stowage seen on nearly all US shermans from the war.

While I was building this sherman I stumbled upon a sherman that I built over ten years ago, and at first I tought I would use it as a donor kit. But after closer inspection I found out that there where no reason this couldn't be restord back to a nice little gem. But this time I would change out the old turret with a heavier T23 turret. This is where all the nagging comes in, and I'm so greatfull for all the help I've recived from you guys on this one. It is really heartwarming to see how many out there who is willing to help when a fellow modeller asks for it. My hat of to you:)

But now I feel like it's enough talk! Here are some pics!

Some closeups...

Used these as guides...

And the real thing...

And the M4A3 76 (without the turret)...

And both of them together...

So now you all know what I've been up to. Feel free to comment, good or bad.
Thanks for looking.

Stein.
Last edited by superhulken on April 12th, 2012, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 8:44 pm #2

Especialy on the 75mm hull and turret,
Only comment is that these didn't use the bogie with horizontal return roller arm, they used the same one you use on your 76mm gun hull.

Keep us posted.

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address

April 12th, 2012, 10:26 pm #3

Hi folks!

The last days I've been naging alot on you guys for help on my sherman project, sorry for that... So now it's time for me to finally show you my progress on my project.

It started out with one sherman that I bought at the local IPMS (Vestfold) meeting around christmas last year. It had been a long time since my last sherman, and I feelt like building one again. In the kit there where also some PE from ABER. And after collecting as much goodies as I could, I started working on it.
What I've done with it so far is to replace the kit boggies with new ones from AFV Club, replaced the barrel (needless to say) with the ABER barrel, added surface texture (both cast and rolled steel), scratchbuilt some minor details, and added welds and drainingholes where needed.
There are ofcourse more to come, like adding AKs resin lightlenses, and the infamous US stowage seen on nearly all US shermans from the war.

While I was building this sherman I stumbled upon a sherman that I built over ten years ago, and at first I tought I would use it as a donor kit. But after closer inspection I found out that there where no reason this couldn't be restord back to a nice little gem. But this time I would change out the old turret with a heavier T23 turret. This is where all the nagging comes in, and I'm so greatfull for all the help I've recived from you guys on this one. It is really heartwarming to see how many out there who is willing to help when a fellow modeller asks for it. My hat of to you:)

Some closeups...

Used these as guides...

And the real thing...

Thanks for looking.

Stein.
Stein,

Great start on your Shermans. I commend your atention to detail. I noticed you did not make the very common error of adding the applique armor. I also see you added the drainage holes in the splash rings that surround the fuel caps as well as adding the engine access door rests. Marc is correct about the bogie units, M4A3s had the upswept return roller arms. Some other suggestions, maybe add the sand shield attachment strips and, if you are really anal, the three bolts at the bottom of each bogie unit. Other than that, they look good all around.

Cheers

Seamus

P.S.- What are you doing with regards to tracks?
Last edited by Seamus1 on April 12th, 2012, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 10:31 pm #4

Hi folks!

Some closeups...

Used these as guides...

And the real thing...

Thanks for looking.

Stein.
Stein,

Sorry, I did not at first notice that the sand shield attachment strips are molded on. Maybe drill in the appropriate holes and add small weld beads at intervals along the top.

Slainte

Seamus.

April 12th, 2012, 10:55 pm #5

Darn it... Fixing the bogies will be a tuff one, but it will bee done now that I know they aren't the correct type... Bummer... Regarding the sand shield strips: They will be taken care of when I bring out the PE set. Don't think I didn't know about that:D And for the bolt heads on the underside of the bogies - They are molded on on the AFV Club suspension, but not on the Tamiya suspension.
For tracks, I've bougth a set of AFV Club T48 tracks, but I'm not quite sure if they are the best solution. My mind has been hovering around tracks from Fruil, but still undecided... Any good sugestions?

Thanks for your comments;)

Stein.
Last edited by superhulken on April 12th, 2012, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 7:03 am #6

Hey Stein,
Nice work!
I am no expert, I just love US armor but with tracks I'd stay away from Fruils and other metal tracks because of the "sag" they produce. As you are propably aware Sherman tracks were "live" tracks, so in my opinion you'd be much better off with styrene or resin tracks.
Modelkasten tracks are very detailed, but also very tedious to assemple. Panda Plastics make some excellent tracks that I think walk the fine line between level of detail and ease of assembly very well.
Just my two cents worth...
I have no experience with the AFV Club tracks, so maybe others can fill you in there...
Best regards,
Christian

April 13th, 2012, 7:28 am #7

AFV Club tracks, Dragon DS tracks or Tasca tracks are good. The DS tracks are a little long, maybe? I've used loads of Tasca tracks on my Shermans (you can buy these seperately from their web site - superb service)and is my preference. Stevie.