My Soviet tank photo gallery: 3 photos of a KV-1 - rare bird?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

My Soviet tank photo gallery: 3 photos of a KV-1 - rare bird?

May 18th, 2012, 8:42 am #1

Hi all.

I found and bought three photos of a KV-1, and if I'm not wrong, this is one of the relatively 'rare birds' with the M-17 engine.

According to Neil Stokes' great KV book, 37 KV-1 mod.1940 (LKZ) and 130 KV-1 mod.1941 (ChKZ) were fitted with this engine in September and November 1941, respectively, due to a shortage of V-2K engines.

Because of the higher fuel consumption of this engine, the vehicles carried additional fuel tanks.

Here the photos:

What do you guys think? Neil, are you reading, is this one of those?

Cheers,
Peter

(Please visit my Soviet tank photo gallery at rathgeb.smugmug.com!)

May 18th, 2012, 4:13 pm #2

I love these pics you keep posting

Thank you
Greg

May 18th, 2012, 9:22 pm #3

Hi all.

I found and bought three photos of a KV-1, and if I'm not wrong, this is one of the relatively 'rare birds' with the M-17 engine.

According to Neil Stokes' great KV book, 37 KV-1 mod.1940 (LKZ) and 130 KV-1 mod.1941 (ChKZ) were fitted with this engine in September and November 1941, respectively, due to a shortage of V-2K engines.

Because of the higher fuel consumption of this engine, the vehicles carried additional fuel tanks.

Here the photos:

What do you guys think? Neil, are you reading, is this one of those?

Cheers,
Peter

(Please visit my Soviet tank photo gallery at rathgeb.smugmug.com!)
Hi Peter...the vehicle in the photo shows all the signs of a Model 1940 with the M-17 engine. The wheels, return rollers, applique armor, hull hatch etc all match the September 1941 production period. Of course it's impossible to tell for sure without a view of the engine itself, but it's highly likely.

Neil

May 19th, 2012, 7:12 am #4

Good to have a confirmation by Mr. KV that I'm not seeing things.

It's exciting to find a photo (or even three) of a tank from which only 37 were produced!

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by Rathgeb on May 19th, 2012, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.