My pin vise ...

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

My pin vise ...

September 23rd, 2016, 7:48 am #1

When using very fine drill bits (0,5 – 0,2mm) I find it difficult to fix them firmly into my pin vise. I am using the Tamiya product, described to be used down to 0,1 mm drills.

In fact it starts to get difficult with diameters of 0,5mm to fix the bits properly. I tried oiling the threads, or using pliers to apply more power, but neither helps.

Can anyone recommend a trick or better apted tool?

Thanks,
Georg

September 24th, 2016, 11:03 am #2

I have a set of pin vices that can be bought as a complete set or individually, the smallest will take v/fine drills.
One option, if you have a lathe (?) turn down the smallest holder to give a longer taper, this will make the "jaws" grip smaller diameters.

George.

July 4th, 2017, 3:06 am #3

When using very fine drill bits (0,5 – 0,2mm) I find it difficult to fix them firmly into my pin vise. I am using the Tamiya product, described to be used down to 0,1 mm drills.

In fact it starts to get difficult with diameters of 0,5mm to fix the bits properly. I tried oiling the threads, or using pliers to apply more power, but neither helps.

Can anyone recommend a trick or better apted tool?

Thanks,
Georg
Georg,

There are drill bits available, .5mm to 1.6mm, that all use the same shank size. The ones I own have 3/32 shanks. Very handy for drill pressses where collets are limited. Works well in my hand vice. I bought mine from a jeweler supply.

Paul