My first Zimm...

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

My first Zimm...

March 20th, 2005, 7:55 pm #1

Let me know what you think - be honest!!

Using Magi-sculpt and using a modified version of Manus Gallagher's watch crown technique http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?f ... 1110411695 (many thanks Manus, you are a lifesaver)

I had to modify the technique as the Magi-sculpt tends to stick to tools, rollers etc. Heres how:

1. Roll the putty onto glass (no talc on glass) to about .5mm, and use plenty of talc on the top of the putty and the roller.
2. cut the sheet from the glass with a Stanley knife blade using small side to side motion, the sheet will form a roll.
3. Gently unroll the sheet, and apply the side that was stuck to glass onto the model. Press down with talced fingers and flatten with talced rolling tool. Do not be afraid to apply talc often, as this prevents the putting sticking to fingers/tools etc
4. When ready, apply a final dusting of talc and use the watch crown roller to zimm.

March 21st, 2005, 2:07 am #2

Brian,

great work..
man, i think zimmerit is the most daunting addition to do!
and yes,manus did a great job in easing this whole process to the many of us who are zimmerit-a-phobic
and you've seemed to master it perfectly!

Thanks,
Nick

Adam Wilder
Adam Wilder

March 21st, 2005, 12:25 pm #3

Let me know what you think - be honest!!

Using Magi-sculpt and using a modified version of Manus Gallagher's watch crown technique http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?f ... 1110411695 (many thanks Manus, you are a lifesaver)

I had to modify the technique as the Magi-sculpt tends to stick to tools, rollers etc. Heres how:

1. Roll the putty onto glass (no talc on glass) to about .5mm, and use plenty of talc on the top of the putty and the roller.
2. cut the sheet from the glass with a Stanley knife blade using small side to side motion, the sheet will form a roll.
3. Gently unroll the sheet, and apply the side that was stuck to glass onto the model. Press down with talced fingers and flatten with talced rolling tool. Do not be afraid to apply talc often, as this prevents the putting sticking to fingers/tools etc
4. When ready, apply a final dusting of talc and use the watch crown roller to zimm.

Good stuff Brian

You make it look easy

Thank you
ANPW