My fastest build ever..

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

My fastest build ever..

October 11th, 2010, 12:04 pm #1

Hi,

Last week (Thursday) my brother phoned me and asked if I could possibly make a tank for his youngest son, for his birthday. He had brought him around a few weeks back and I had shown him my models, so it must have made an impression. I was flattered and said I would. However, the lad's birthday is today and he wanted a British tank. I have no British tanks in my stash, so I raced to a local shop (which is only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and managed to get him the Dragon kit of a Firefly Vc (No 7300) attributed to "Douglas Kay", Turret Gunner. It is an exceptionally nice kit and I would recommend it to anyone. I got stuck in and managed to finish it at 11.30 last night, with weathering and here is the result:

Before anyone points it out, I know the tracks are on the wrong way around - pressure of the task caused the mistake and I couldn't rectify it.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 11th, 2010, 12:25 pm #2

Hello
Would you be so kind and share with us (me especially, sorry I'm a little bit selfish ) your building process step by step? I'm interested in the overspray and weathering part.
Nice model though.

October 11th, 2010, 2:07 pm #3

Hi,

Last week (Thursday) my brother phoned me and asked if I could possibly make a tank for his youngest son, for his birthday. He had brought him around a few weeks back and I had shown him my models, so it must have made an impression. I was flattered and said I would. However, the lad's birthday is today and he wanted a British tank. I have no British tanks in my stash, so I raced to a local shop (which is only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and managed to get him the Dragon kit of a Firefly Vc (No 7300) attributed to "Douglas Kay", Turret Gunner. It is an exceptionally nice kit and I would recommend it to anyone. I got stuck in and managed to finish it at 11.30 last night, with weathering and here is the result:

Before anyone points it out, I know the tracks are on the wrong way around - pressure of the task caused the mistake and I couldn't rectify it.

All the best,

Paul
I wish I could build like this at my normal (slow) pace!! I take it this was an out-of-the-box build?

October 11th, 2010, 2:35 pm #4

Hi,

All the best,

Paul
Very impressive finish on this one, Paul. Nice to see some green stuff from you!!!

Randy

October 11th, 2010, 8:09 pm #5

Hello
Would you be so kind and share with us (me especially, sorry I'm a little bit selfish ) your building process step by step? I'm interested in the overspray and weathering part.
Nice model though.
Hi Przemyslaw,

Thanks for the kind comments, I am doing several builds at the moment and will try to do a building log for them. Finishing the vehicle I sprayed over a black undercoat with Tamyia Dark Green and then misted in various directions with Tamyia Olive Green to highlight the raised bits, I then added Tamyia Deck Tan to the Olive Green gradually and misted the edges and raised areas. I then sprayed the running gear and tracks with Tamyia Flat Earth, allowing the spray to drift slightly on the lower hull. I then used MIG Dark Wash to bring out the detail and dry-brushed with various tones of light green. I then applied a mix of MIG European Dust and Tamyia Flat Earth to the lower hull and around the tracks and running gear, building it up until it looked like accumulated mud. I finally dusted some of the pigment onto the wet paste to represent drying mud. The model was then dusted with the European Dust to produce a 'worn' look. That's it basically. I gave the lad the tank this afternoon and to see the look on his face was priceless. Worth the effort a thousand times over.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

October 11th, 2010, 8:11 pm #6

I wish I could build like this at my normal (slow) pace!! I take it this was an out-of-the-box build?
Hi Mark,

Yes, it was totally OOB, not one modification or addition. Says a lot for the quality of Dragon kits, doesn't it.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

October 11th, 2010, 8:15 pm #7

Very impressive finish on this one, Paul. Nice to see some green stuff from you!!!

Randy
Hi Randy,

Hope your projects are progressing well. Yes it does make a change, quite a pleasant one. What with Panzer Grey and Olive Green, I am really diversifying of late . I really enjoyed this kit and as a pure OOB project it was very satisfying. I will try to get another one of these kits as they are superb quality.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur