Munition storage SdKfz 233

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Munition storage SdKfz 233

July 12th, 2012, 7:28 am #1

Currently I am building a SdKfz 233, the Stummel version of the 8-rad, and am currently looking for information on the munition storage... It could b similar to the SdKfz 234/3, with small ammo holders on the flanking sides, but the SdKfz 233 has the gun mounted on the floor (like the early SdKfz 251/9) so not much space on the right side... or perhaps a small one, as I think to see two black holes on the right of the gun?

I know there was a posting last year:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... +Sdkfz+233
but perhaps someone knows some interior shots (or museum examples?) so one could make an estimated guess of the ammo storage?

Regards,

Eric

July 12th, 2012, 11:26 am #2

Only 2 x Sdkfz231 or 232 have survived. One in Munster ((?)Germany, at any rate) and India, of all places.

July 12th, 2012, 3:11 pm #3

Currently I am building a SdKfz 233, the Stummel version of the 8-rad, and am currently looking for information on the munition storage... It could b similar to the SdKfz 234/3, with small ammo holders on the flanking sides, but the SdKfz 233 has the gun mounted on the floor (like the early SdKfz 251/9) so not much space on the right side... or perhaps a small one, as I think to see two black holes on the right of the gun?

I know there was a posting last year:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... +Sdkfz+233
but perhaps someone knows some interior shots (or museum examples?) so one could make an estimated guess of the ammo storage?

Regards,

Eric
Hi Eric,

In the library of the Tank Museum in Bovington there is a School of Tank Technology report on one of these Sd.Kfz.233 captured in North Africa. In the report the examiners state that they only found storage for 13 x 7.5cm rounds, a 6 round container beside the driver and a 6 round container beside the rear driver and 1 round in a container in front of the gun pedestal. They commented that this was a very small number of rounds so it seemed probable that extra round were carried in ammunition boxes loose on the floor.

In the new Panzer Tracts No.13-2 on the schwerer Panzerspaehwagen (8 rad) they quote that only 32 rounds were carried due the vehicle being overloaded. This information would have been taken from original German data sheets.

Unfortunately, while a Sd.Kfz.233 chassis, with its gun pedestal intact, has survived the armour body was long ago removed leaving us with no other evidence and as far as I know there have never been any photos taken inside a Sd.Kfz.233.

Fred

July 12th, 2012, 5:41 pm #4

No inside photos @#$%^&*
Probably no room for a camera either !!!!!

July 13th, 2012, 6:47 am #5

Hi Eric,

In the library of the Tank Museum in Bovington there is a School of Tank Technology report on one of these Sd.Kfz.233 captured in North Africa. In the report the examiners state that they only found storage for 13 x 7.5cm rounds, a 6 round container beside the driver and a 6 round container beside the rear driver and 1 round in a container in front of the gun pedestal. They commented that this was a very small number of rounds so it seemed probable that extra round were carried in ammunition boxes loose on the floor.

In the new Panzer Tracts No.13-2 on the schwerer Panzerspaehwagen (8 rad) they quote that only 32 rounds were carried due the vehicle being overloaded. This information would have been taken from original German data sheets.

Unfortunately, while a Sd.Kfz.233 chassis, with its gun pedestal intact, has survived the armour body was long ago removed leaving us with no other evidence and as far as I know there have never been any photos taken inside a Sd.Kfz.233.

Fred
Hi Fred,

Thank you for this information! Two six-round containers... that sounds like the container also present in the SdKfz 234/3, next to the 6-round 'open box' on the left of the container as shown here:

(model by Károly Mesterházy)

There is space left inside so I will try to do this, and add a single round container close to the gun pedestral too. However, I still think tehre might be a container on the right of the gun too, with perhaps two rounds, easy accessible for the loader and opposite of the gunner?

Eric