Mr Surfacer...what is it?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Mr Surfacer...what is it?

July 23rd, 2006, 5:52 pm #1

In a lot of build descriptions, I've seen people refer to Mr Surfacer. What is it? What's it's purpose? Does it need to be thinned prior to use?

Steve

July 24th, 2006, 11:34 am #2

I have heard it is a rebottled DuPont or 3M filler primer paint. It is a grey thick paint which dries fairly fast. You can use it to fill fine cracks, or paint it on and stipple it to give a rougher texture to surfaces. If you have a rough surface you can paint it on and then sand to get a smooth surface. There are different thicknesses, 500 the thickest and 1000 and 1200 the thinnest. I'm not sure whether these numbers relate to a pigment/grain size. It can be bought in large hobby bottle sizes or in spray cans. It can be thinned with Mr Hobby Thinner (I'm not sure which ones) or cellulose/lacquer thinner. Alcohol can be used to clean off overspill. Apparently it can also be airbrushed when thin.

I find it very good for cast surface textures and for filling gaps between glued parts. It's fast drying properties help speed up the building process.

July 24th, 2006, 12:10 pm #3

In a lot of build descriptions, I've seen people refer to Mr Surfacer. What is it? What's it's purpose? Does it need to be thinned prior to use?

Steve
When I googled it (www.google.com), I found this:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Surfacer.html

July 24th, 2006, 1:37 pm #4

Steve
It does come in different thicknesses like Mr. Surfacer 500 and 1000, as well as aerosol cans. laquer thinner will reduce it down and clean up after use.

Tamiya Surfacer is essentially the same stuff, if not a bit better. I love the new Tamiya Surfacer... and the bottle is much more user friendly.

You can make a similar solution by reducing Tamiya, Squadron, etc. putty with Liquid Cement.
DAVID NICKELS

July 26th, 2006, 10:44 am #5

Steve
Perhaps I'll get some and give it a try.

Steve

July 27th, 2006, 7:38 pm #6

I have heard it is a rebottled DuPont or 3M filler primer paint. It is a grey thick paint which dries fairly fast. You can use it to fill fine cracks, or paint it on and stipple it to give a rougher texture to surfaces. If you have a rough surface you can paint it on and then sand to get a smooth surface. There are different thicknesses, 500 the thickest and 1000 and 1200 the thinnest. I'm not sure whether these numbers relate to a pigment/grain size. It can be bought in large hobby bottle sizes or in spray cans. It can be thinned with Mr Hobby Thinner (I'm not sure which ones) or cellulose/lacquer thinner. Alcohol can be used to clean off overspill. Apparently it can also be airbrushed when thin.

I find it very good for cast surface textures and for filling gaps between glued parts. It's fast drying properties help speed up the building process.
What it basically is is glue with putty in it.