More Scratch-builds/Conversions from the Past from Les Freathy

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

More Scratch-builds/Conversions from the Past from Les Freathy

May 15th, 2017, 12:30 pm #1

Les has sent me another set of photos of very nice models which were either totally scratch-built or converted by modelers from days gone by.

"Attached more photos from the past again from the days when you had to convert what little was available or scratch build. These days many of these types are available in either plastic, resin or metal".

1. A desert workshop diorama from John Rulton

2. A trio of scratch built British 10 ton trucks from the early days from Richard Allebone

3. Scammell Explorer all scratch built by past Tankette editor John Wilkes, this model i am sure now resides with Dave Rhodes.

4. Thornycroft Antar and 50 ton Dyson trailer all scratch built by Eddie Adcock.

5. Fordson Sussex power generator truck all scratch built by master modeller Freddie Freeman.

6 Leyland DAF drops also from the hands of Freddie Freeman.

7 Scammell Pioneer ballast tractor a neat conversion to the Airfix kit by Roy Coddington

Some beautiful work there Les.....thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers,

Neil

May 16th, 2017, 5:33 am #2

some amazing scratch building skills on show here

May 16th, 2017, 8:12 am #3

Les has sent me another set of photos of very nice models which were either totally scratch-built or converted by modelers from days gone by.

"Attached more photos from the past again from the days when you had to convert what little was available or scratch build. These days many of these types are available in either plastic, resin or metal".

2. A trio of scratch built British 10 ton trucks from the early days from Richard Allebone

3. Scammell Explorer all scratch built by past Tankette editor John Wilkes, this model i am sure now resides with Dave Rhodes.

4. Thornycroft Antar and 50 ton Dyson trailer all scratch built by Eddie Adcock.

5. Fordson Sussex power generator truck all scratch built by master modeller Freddie Freeman.

7 Scammell Pioneer ballast tractor a neat conversion to the Airfix kit by Roy Coddington

Cheers,

Neil
You've really got to admire the work these guys did back then, not only were there far less model kits to choose from and what about detail sets and resin conversions too, nowhere near as much stuff as we have now as Les said. But what about lack of ready reference material ...... no internet then!!!
Thanks for posting them up Les and Neil ... keep 'em coming!
Tim
Tim James
aka TJ
Styrene Manipulator.
Lover of heavy metal armour and shiny fast muscle cars.
"Slow progress is better than no progress"

May 16th, 2017, 9:13 am #4

Cheers,

Neil
Love the trio & Explorer the most
& the dio
cheers for posting
Elliott

May 20th, 2017, 11:22 pm #5

Cheers,

Neil
I think I've seen some of them in Airfix mags/books, the last one is quite familiar