More about Polish T-34 markings

Polish language forum for discussion of all armour modelling-related topics. Hosted by Tomasz Basarabowicz.

More about Polish T-34 markings

September 19th, 2006, 10:02 pm #1

Can anyone direct me to good photo sources that show markings used on Polish T-34/85s in 1944? Or to a source that explains the numbering systems used in those units?

I know about the T-34 "1213" discussed below, but I'd rather not use it simply because it's too well known. I'd like to do a Polish tank that's different from all the others out there.

TIA

September 20th, 2006, 12:50 pm #2

The Polish publisher Ajaks has a good book - Mariusz Skotnicki's "Vehicles of the Polish Armed Forces Eastern Front 1943-1945." It's completely bilingual, not just the photo captions and even has a short article about the controversy of tactical numbers. Lots of photos of LWP tanks. Ajaks also publishes a series called "T-34 in Combat." Vol. 2 has a good article by Zbigniew Lalek but it only covers the earlier service of the T34/76 in the Polish Army. Vol. 3 focuses on the T34/85 but doesn't have too many details or photos of Polish T34/85 during WW2. It does have some interesting pics of post war tanks in the 1960's. There is quite a bit in Michulec's and Zientarzewski's "T34-Mityczna Bron Vol. 2" on Polish T34/85 but the whole book is in Polish. Someone posted that Airconnection in Canada has been working on an English version but that has been a while ago. Excellent source if you can understand Polish.
An easier solution could be Armo's decals. They make a sheet of LWP vehicles that includes seven different T34/85's. You can find a scan of the sheet here:
http://www.jadar.com.pl/armo/35401/35401.htm
I build 1/72 and have used many of their sheets. Decals are really thin and disappear with some clear gloss and Solvaset. I'm sure the 1/35th are just as good.

Hope it helps,
Jeff

September 20th, 2006, 2:10 pm #3

There is one more book to be added to Jeff list - Pegaz-Bis publisher "Broñ pancerna w LWP 1943-1945" by Zbigniew Lalak.
The book contains some unpublished before photos of Polish tanks including T-34/85.

September 20th, 2006, 4:58 pm #4

The Polish publisher Ajaks has a good book - Mariusz Skotnicki's "Vehicles of the Polish Armed Forces Eastern Front 1943-1945." It's completely bilingual, not just the photo captions and even has a short article about the controversy of tactical numbers. Lots of photos of LWP tanks. Ajaks also publishes a series called "T-34 in Combat." Vol. 2 has a good article by Zbigniew Lalek but it only covers the earlier service of the T34/76 in the Polish Army. Vol. 3 focuses on the T34/85 but doesn't have too many details or photos of Polish T34/85 during WW2. It does have some interesting pics of post war tanks in the 1960's. There is quite a bit in Michulec's and Zientarzewski's "T34-Mityczna Bron Vol. 2" on Polish T34/85 but the whole book is in Polish. Someone posted that Airconnection in Canada has been working on an English version but that has been a while ago. Excellent source if you can understand Polish.
An easier solution could be Armo's decals. They make a sheet of LWP vehicles that includes seven different T34/85's. You can find a scan of the sheet here:
http://www.jadar.com.pl/armo/35401/35401.htm
I build 1/72 and have used many of their sheets. Decals are really thin and disappear with some clear gloss and Solvaset. I'm sure the 1/35th are just as good.

Hope it helps,
Jeff

That helps a lot, and I think the Armo decals would be perfect. One more thing, though: do you know of a source other than Jadar? I have tried to buy from them in the past, and can't get through their ordering system. For some reason, it always winds up stuck in a loop halfway through the checkout process.

September 20th, 2006, 7:54 pm #5