Montgomery's Leyland Caravan pictures?

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Montgomery's Leyland Caravan pictures?

August 11th, 2012, 9:56 pm #1

I figured since the actual truck is preserved at the IMW Duxford that there would be some available photos online. Oddly I could only find two or three poor close ups of odd parts of the truck. Quite a bit of searching online turned up pretty much zip. Is there a book on Monty's trucks with more info? Or a book on the Leyland etc.? There hasn't been too much posted here either as far as detail info goes.

Also what is the upper part of the box body made of? It has a canvas cover but is it a soft body? Or is it a canvas cover stretched over a solid (wood?) body. Is the roof wood or canvas?

I bought the Wespe kit today, for what its worth...

It actually seems like a reasonable model. It wasn't very expensive and is fairly simple. You get the basics for the interior of the rear bodywork and it seems you can make the roof removable to view the interior. Many years ago I had bought a Wespe Stalinetz tractor and it was pretty bad, but the Caravan seems okay. I'd say its about like an older Des Kit kit.
Last edited by David Nickels on August 11th, 2012, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVID NICKELS

August 12th, 2012, 12:54 am #2

This is outside my area of interest but I know that MilMod ran an article on all of Montys fleet back in the seventies or eighties and I have it in my collection.

Could dig it out and scan for you if it would help. May take a few days to find..i dont have my MilMods catalogued!

PM me if you would like it.

Regards Dave

August 12th, 2012, 9:18 am #3

I figured since the actual truck is preserved at the IMW Duxford that there would be some available photos online. Oddly I could only find two or three poor close ups of odd parts of the truck. Quite a bit of searching online turned up pretty much zip. Is there a book on Monty's trucks with more info? Or a book on the Leyland etc.? There hasn't been too much posted here either as far as detail info goes.

Also what is the upper part of the box body made of? It has a canvas cover but is it a soft body? Or is it a canvas cover stretched over a solid (wood?) body. Is the roof wood or canvas?

It actually seems like a reasonable model. It wasn't very expensive and is fairly simple. You get the basics for the interior of the rear bodywork and it seems you can make the roof removable to view the interior. Many years ago I had bought a Wespe Stalinetz tractor and it was pretty bad, but the Caravan seems okay. I'd say its about like an older Des Kit kit.
David, you are correct that Monty's caravan and associated trucks are preserved at the IWM Duford site, however they are arranged for 'display' rather than photography.

There is access via a raised walkway, which allows a look inside, but completely covers the one side as far as taking photos is considered. The other side is not particularly visible either as there is a diorama, so you cannot get very close, see below

[/IMG]

The prospects of photography are not improved by the gloom in the 'Land Warfare Hall'.

I hope this helps.

jh

August 12th, 2012, 12:03 pm #4

Yeah from the two or three poor online photos it seems they are not arranged in a really helpful manner. I suppose some of the general cab details I can extrapolate from pictures of other Leyland Retrievers. Not sure what the paint schemes are/were as the kit does not include any information other than the rather lurid box art. The kit photo is in a pinkish earth color with navy blue blobs, which I suppose is some sort of Micky Mouse scheme.
DAVID NICKELS

August 12th, 2012, 12:23 pm #5

If my memory serves me, the vehicles were present to Montgomery when he retired and stored in a barn at his home. After his death they were presented to the nation, so the IWM inherited them.

I think an old 'Wheels & Tracks' had an article at the time they were presented and initially displayed at the Lambeth site, which might be helpful if you can trace a copy.

I think the vehicles are currently in 'deep bronze green', so possibly a post-war re-paint (does anyone know for sure?), though the interiors are claimed to be in original condition.

Monty's "command" Grant tank is still displayed at the IWM Lambeth site.

jh

August 12th, 2012, 6:21 pm #6

You probably know these already...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59751885@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59751885@N ... otostream/

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... 20Leyland/

Here are two related thread :
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/th ... ox+Caravan

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/th ... help+Monty's+caravan

HTH

H.P.
Last edited by Henri-Pierre Mas on August 12th, 2012, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2012, 7:04 pm #7

...was Gen. Annibale "Electric Whiskers" Bergonzoli, here is a reconstruction (courtesy of my mate Giuseppe Calò) of the original vehicle (a Lancia RO):

The vehicle was pretty new when captured at Beda Fomm, as it had been prepared for Bergonzoli in Dec. 1940 in a Tripolis workshop.

August 12th, 2012, 7:32 pm #8

Hello David,

It is a Canvas cover and the interior is very well finished. I can't tell what is underneath the canvas cover. The interior is varnished plywood so it stands to reason that this mounted on a frame that would sit under the original tilt frame.

Resicast do/did produce a Photo CD for Monty's Caravan, it is very good and the pictures are very much a walkround. When did the Caravan appear at the museum?

I hope this helps

Brian

First In Last Out - Follow the Sapper!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

August 12th, 2012, 8:34 pm #9

...was Gen. Annibale "Electric Whiskers" Bergonzoli, here is a reconstruction (courtesy of my mate Giuseppe Calò) of the original vehicle (a Lancia RO):

The vehicle was pretty new when captured at Beda Fomm, as it had been prepared for Bergonzoli in Dec. 1940 in a Tripolis workshop.
Here's a similar setup on a Lancia 3 Ro :

H.P.

August 12th, 2012, 11:50 pm #10

Hello David,

It is a Canvas cover and the interior is very well finished. I can't tell what is underneath the canvas cover. The interior is varnished plywood so it stands to reason that this mounted on a frame that would sit under the original tilt frame.

Resicast do/did produce a Photo CD for Monty's Caravan, it is very good and the pictures are very much a walkround. When did the Caravan appear at the museum?

I hope this helps

Brian

First In Last Out - Follow the Sapper!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Resicast doesnt seem to have the CD now and their own Caravan is discontinued.

I wonder if the canvas cover isnt also to make the van body look more like a regular cargo truck as it seems to have solid walls and a roof under the canvas.
DAVID NICKELS