MK1 tanks

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

MK1 tanks

July 5th, 2004, 7:15 am #1

Can anyone out there please provide me with or direct me to any (accurate) 1/35 scale plans for the Mk1 tanks both male and female? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

July 5th, 2004, 8:50 am #2

Hiya

Your best bet are teh GA drawings offered by the TAnk Museum Library.

The 1/76th Mother plans that appeared in Tankette are essentially accurate, but I know of no 1/35th Mk I plans that I'd trust. The Armada plans of Mk Vs seen reliable, and would give you teh basic shape.

Mike

July 6th, 2004, 8:40 am #3

Mike, thanks for your reply. I've already contacted Bovington regards their plan packs and the librarian informs me that the only plans they have are loosley based on scetches made at the time and vary in scale. I guess all I can do is keep trying.

Shane.

July 6th, 2004, 5:54 pm #4

Can anyone out there please provide me with or direct me to any (accurate) 1/35 scale plans for the Mk1 tanks both male and female? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Shane,maybe this 3D inside perspective,could be usefull for now.

Luis Miguel F.S.Gago.

Shane Black
Shane Black

July 7th, 2004, 6:49 am #5

Any reference is good reference and when you have as little as I do on the Mk1's, it's great reference! Thanks very much.
Shane.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

July 9th, 2004, 8:03 am #6

Hiya

I think the TM library is talking down their resource - there are good cross sections produced for Engineering in 1919 and detail matrial on the Mk I. True, I've not seen full drawings befor ethe Mk V, but what is there is rather more useful than their response would seen to imply.

Look at "Tanks at Flers" for a reproduction of the drawings and as good a photo-survey of the type as you'll find. There new Vanguard from David Fletcher has good photos and colour plates, but no GAs.

Mike

Shane Black
Shane Black

July 12th, 2004, 7:28 am #7

Its probably my best bet to try the Museum's drawings. I've already snapped up the Vanguard and full marks to them and to David Fletcher (if he hasn't already deserved them 1000x over!)for doing this book, it's brilliant!

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

July 12th, 2004, 8:08 am #8

Thanks - Checking through my photos and bits after going through the new Vanguard (I'm building HMLS Kia Ora in 1/76th) I came to the comclusion that you can't really build a Mk I without Trevor Pidgeon's Tanks at Flers. Do try to get at a copy - it has the best collection of Mk I photos I've seen, drawings and a "walk around" of Bovvies Mk I and II (The II has the I female sponson fitted). (Bovvies Mk I before they mounted her in that diorama...) BTW if George Forty is right about her serial, she's teh oldest tank to see action, as she was at Bullecourt I think. The MK II did Arras and Passchedaele, but was built later. Remarkable survivals - three/four of the museums WW1 tanks can be proven to hav eseen action.

If you're in the UK, I have teh TM drawings...Will be at teh Yate show in August, Colours in September and Cholsey on 25th of this month.

Which Mk I are you going to be doing?

M

Shane Black
Shane Black

July 12th, 2004, 11:57 am #9

I intend to scratchbuild both a male and female as used at Flers. I'll possibly do the male as being with "D" co. but I'd like to do the female as a "C" co. vehicle with the anti grenade screen on the roof but I haven't chosen specific vehicles yet. With regards to the Flers book I agree, anything that details the 15th of Sep. is of great interest to me and I believe I saw a copy available on the Bovington website so you've convinced me,not that I really needed my arm twisted! I've already done all the work on the Airfix kit to backdate it to an accurate Mk1, I just need to get the colours right (third time lucky!)Mr Fletchers book will help now though.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

July 12th, 2004, 12:19 pm #10

Can't praise Tanks at Flers highly enough. Excellent research well presented and lots of lovely piccies.

Mike