Mk. V question

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Mk. V question

May 27th, 2005, 3:05 pm #1

I am building a Mk. V from the 1/72 Emhar Mk. IV, you can see a pic of the newly born Mk. V here www.arcor.de/palb/alben/92/625692/400_6 ... 393731.jpg.

As you can see I have built the version with the hoods over the exhaust grilles at the rear of both flanks. Now my question: I know photos with the exhaust grilles just plain open and those where the exhausts are covered with two hoods on each side. I am aware that many photos in the Osprey "White armor in the Russian civil war" show tanks with those hoods. Were they also used during the war and in Ireland, as these are two areas for which I would like to build dioramas? Was the distribution of tanks with open grilles and covered ones haphazard or dependent on climate or area? Any info around there?

June 2nd, 2005, 3:32 pm #2

You'll need to check photos. I'm not sure yet if anything factory-fitted was used, but their are certain styles. My guess is that the fittings went on at Central Workshops (Erin?) rather than in the UK, but I hav eseen what are obviously training Mk Vs with these things.

Sorry, but there is no simple answer - you'll just have to find a photo of a tank in the right place/time and follow that.

Mike Cooper

June 2nd, 2005, 7:05 pm #3

Do you (or anybody) know photos depicting Mk. Vs in Northern Ireland around 1920, showing the rear flanks? I have seen several pics (The Irish Civil War among others), but almost all show the tank´s front and I could not discern the kind of ventilation grills.

June 3rd, 2005, 7:45 am #4

Gosh, thi sis VERY specific. All the Vs I've seen in Ireland are in Dublin...your best bet is to ask the Tank Museum dircet I think. This said, when I went through their V albums I didn't see ant in N Ireland - there are plenty in the UK at this date or in Germany.

Mike Cooper